𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖞-𝖘𝖎𝖝

ANNOUNCEMENT: the next two chapters will be iris mcknight's backstory, written by me. i wrote this when i first started writing the story for an english project, and this is what happened.

✧・゚: *✧・

The goat squeals before the blade slashes its neck. Clover's face covered in blood spatter as she tosses the goat into the flames. The coven of 163 people chant around the fire, magic swooshing between the beings. Children who are too young to participate watch in amazement, wanting to partake in the dark sacrifice. Magic shoots through the sky, resembling the appearance of a comet. The bright light shines in the coven's faces, nearly blinding the group.

Blocks away, a woman by the name of Lydiana screams in agony. Her dear friend, Laurence holds her hand tightly as the midwife cheers her on. "I see the head!" She yells. Lyidiana wails and cries, gripping her friends hand tighter.  And then suddenly, like a blissful moment, the cries of a baby girl fills the room.

A nurse gasps, running out through the town. "It's a girl! It's a girl!" The members of the coven gasp, knowing one thing and one thing alone.

They had their new leader.

This particular coven bared the name The Sanguis Coven, translating to The Blood Coven. The first born males followed by their female siblings. However, when time would approach, a woman would have their first child, a baby girl. The first born girl would have the features and the strengths of a god. Their name declaring their new life. The leader, once it is her time, will absorb all of the dark magic the previous generations have used since the previous ruler. Leaving a new slate for them all, except herself.

The Sanguis never chose the name of the first born, but a elderly woman by the name Sienna. She has long shining red hair, which had slowly began to grey in recent years. Some say it is the black magic she once used for eternal youth, as she hardly looked a day over 55. Clover approached Sienna, kneeling before the elderlly woman. "Oh, dearest Sienna, the next ruler has been born. Her name lost." Clover clasps her hands together, pleading slowly. "You named my mother, goddess of night. Please, Sienna, name our new leader."

Sienna waves her hand, magic trailing close behind it. Her blue eyes glow as she chants a soft spell. Wind blows, her dark green dress twisting over her legs. "Nyx was the goddess of the night. One of the primordial gods whom emerged at the dawn of time." She lifts her hand, torches along the walls of her home lighting up. "The child shall bear the name Iris.The goddess of the rainbow, and the messenger of the Olympian gods. The personal messenger of Hera." Lydiana holds her baby close, gasping at the sight. Her young daughter glows, a small whimper escaping the baby's lips. A magic aura lighting up the house as the coven continues their chants. "Iris is her name."

As the years pass, the coven is astonished by the strength of Iris. At the age of seven, she lit a boys shoe on fire without even lifting a finger. When she was ten, she stopped an oncoming train from hitting the school bus she sat upon. However, this magic comes with a price. As she ages, the coven grew envious. She could do anything she wants, and they couldn't. Slowly, Clover took young Iris under her wing. "My mother was an amazing leader, and so will you." She would always say.

Iris sat in the middle of her first ritual by the age of twelve, the coven had began wishing for their greatest desires. Henrick, a young man no older than 25, wishes for a bride. As the coven chants their tunes, "Slice its throat!" Yells Clover. The chicken squeals as a boy, whom is only 15, holds it down while Iris raises the blade. Her heart aches, not wanting to hurt an innocent creature. Closing her eyes tight, she cuts through the chicken quickly, its head falling to her feet. Flames rise high as the coven stands in a circle. Iris looks around nervously, knowing this is her part.

Closing her eyes, Iris chants along, the fire now turning into different colors. Young children watch in awe, the flames now greens and purples before turning a bright red. The members of the coven stop the chant, but continue to hold hands as Iris continues, Her mumbling turns into screaming, before she tosses her hands in the air, her eyes black as she slams her hands back down. A gust of wind so strong causes the adults and teens now flying backwards in all directions, and the flames diminishing into nothing but ash.

Clover stands slowly, staring in amazement as the little girl before her. And only days later, young Henrick finds a beautiful brunette upon the edge of town, marrying her a month later.

Another witch, Jocelyn, wishes for a child. The coven does the ritual again, this time with a rabbit. This time, Iris as finally reached 13, where her powers will grow and develop more. Instead of days for Jocelyn's wish to come true, it only takes a single day before she discovers her pregnancy. Lydiana is surprised by these outcomes, and is even more shocked when she finds out her own friend, Laurence, is trying to use her daughters powers.

"Lydia, your daughter could help solve everything wrong with the world," Laurence explains.

Lydiana shakes her head. "My daughter is not your god." She scolds. "She is 13!"

"And her powers are getting stronger," Says Laurence, grabbing her friends hands. "If we don't teach her how to use them now she may never learn how to control them!"

"Iris will learn the proper way. Not the way of you devils." Lydiana snatches her hands away, storming off.

That doesn't stop the Sanguis. That night Laurence's wish for wealth is granted, winning the lottery within the week.

When Iris turns 14, a man by the name of Alastair asks for the grandest wish he could think of.

Ultimate power.

In a coven of powerful witches, this was quite surprising to them all. They already had so much power as it is. Clover, leading this next ritual, sits in her home, looking out into the town with a population of now 172. They needed a sacrifice, but not the usual goat or chicken.

They needed more.

Something their ancestors will appreciate. Clover looks into the night sky, pleading to her mother for an answer. Nyx had passed when Clover was only 15. She had died from an unknown disease, but in peace. Clovers eyes twinkle in the light as she comes to a realization. She needs a human. But not just any human, a witch. Rumor began to spread in the small town. Lydiana had plans on leaving the coven, along with her daughter. A crime towards them all.

A betrayal.

Clovers eyes darken as she waves her hands up in the air, every light on every street going out. She knew her next sacrifice. It was time.
Iris sits in school, staying late to work on an English assignment. Davante, a younger member of the Sanguis, wanders through the front doors of the school. "Iris, it is time." His voice is deep and raspy, menacing even. Iris frowns in confusion, recalling her mother telling her to never follow the leaders of these rituals anymore, especially Clover's friends.

"But, Mom said-"

"Your mother wants to speak to you." He says. Leading Iris to town square, chants fill the air as Davante pulls on the young girls hand. When they get to the circle, Alastair and Iris stand in the middle. Alastair is older than Davante and Iris, close to his 50's. He smirks with an evil glare, making Iris's stomach flip anxiously. When Iris finally meets them in the center, she sees something she never wanted.

Her mother.