Just Another Day

I stood right in front of the dark fir door, holding a dark golden key in the air. I was taking a few, long heavy breaths, my paws shaking and my legs were in an uncomfortable cold. I was terrified.

I introduced the key to its respective place in the gilt knob and, taking a few heavy breaths, slowly pushed the door open. The house was in a menacing silence, dark as if it was midnight.

Maybe he's not home. I thought to myself, as I quietly closed the door behind me.

It was not a big house, a two stories house, not too clean and barely any windows. The stairs were right across the hallway. But as soon as I gave one step forward, "You are late . . . Come here"

I stayed frozen in my place. I should've been quieter

The first entrance to the right was the living room, and the first thing I saw when I came in was the male figure of a dog, portraying a big black shadow over me with help of the muted tv. Bottles gathered around the small round table right next to the tv. He was supporting himself on a wall with one paw while holding a white bottle on his other one.

"S-sorry dad . . . t-today Mr Roosevelt forgot our exam-"

"I don't care!" He yelled as he threw the bottle onto the floor. The bottle exploded into thousands of glass shards and he quickly dropped a knee to the floor.

I just stood in my place, terrified. He slowly recovered himself, looking at his paw. It was bleeding, glass shard around his palm.

"Look what you've done" He growled, quickly lifting his tight dress shirt to take his belt off his dusty formal pants.

Knowing what was going to happen next, I dropped my school backpack and ran up the stairs as fast as possible. I entered my room and slammed the door behind me, closing the latch. Then everything stayed in a piercing quiet.

Not for long though.

Suddenly, the doorknob started moving rapidly in circles, then back and forth. I was frozen, staring at the knob while hearing him cursing on the other side of the door. Everything was dark and I was sweating like hell. And he started kicking the door.

I quickly looked around terrified and decided to jump into the small closet. The kicks continued for a couple of seconds before the doorknob broke. Allowing him to enter my room.

"Come out, come out, where ever you are­­~ " He said, whipping the leather belt on the wooden floor, "Beep". I heard his footsteps getting closer to the closet where I was hiding.

I quickly covered my mouth, quietly crying. "Beep Beep" He repeated while I heard the floor creaking near me. "Beep Beep Beep"

And the closet's door opened.

"Ah!" I grunted as I fell off my bed. The small alarm next to my bed was beeping loudly.

I sighed, slowly standing up "It was just a dream" I sat down on my bed, rubbing my eye "It was just another nightmare. . ." I said out loud before turning off my alarm.

It wasn't the first time I woke up on the floor, but it was the first time I had that nightmare. I slowly made my way to my bathroom.

"Another day" I glanced at myself in the mirror.

I took a quick hot shower. Dried off and changed to normal clothes. I started brushing my teeth and, as always, I stared at the sharp, not too big, silver scissor that normally sits next to the toothpaste.

I glanced myself one more time on the mirror "It's just another day. . ." My pass thought me how to be as quiet as possible, so quietly I made my way outside my room.