PROLOG

SKY'S P.O.V.

In the mosaic of descriptions that paint the canvas of my identity – dreamy, realistic, kind, adventurous, zealous, casual, joyful – one label remains conspicuously absent: annoying or demanding. A burden. Ironically, it's a title my father seems to have reserved solely for me, a bitter revelation that stings with every passing day.

In the wake of his return from an extended trip weeks ago, our relationship has morphed into a fragile tapestry unraveling at the seams. The distance he's cultivated feels like a chasm, each day a new fragment of our connection breaking away and dissolving into the void. The ache in my chest is palpable; it's as if he's decided he no longer needs me.

Our bond, forged in the intricate dance of a stepfather and stepdaughter, was supposed to be resilient. I never anticipated feeling so utterly unwanted, a sentiment that gnaws at the edges of my soul.

I steal a glance at him, my heart heavy with unspoken words, as he remains fixated on the road. The journey ahead holds an air of mystery; all he disclosed was the vague notion of an important meetup. Details, it seems, are a luxury he deemed unnecessary to share.

Surveying our surroundings, the world outside the car window unfolds in a breathtaking tableau of trees, fields, and rolling hills. Nature's beauty, serene and untouched, graces the landscape. A distant lake captures my attention, and a genuine smile plays on my lips as I immerse myself in the scenic wonders passing by.

But this tranquil reverie is abruptly shattered by a jarring symphony of screeching tires and a resounding thud, jolting me from my momentary escape into the serene.

...

My gaze shifts to my dad, my chest heaving with rapid breaths as I attempt to steady myself. His expression mirrors my own surprise, and in the tremor of my hands and the welled-up tears in my eyes, I seek solace.

With quivering hands, I glance into the rearview mirror, hoping for clarity on the unsettling scene playing out behind us. My vision blurs with tears as I gulp hard, catching a glimpse of a lifeless form sprawled on the road.

"You... You hit it. You hit a deer!" The words tumble from my lips in disbelief, my eyes darting to my father, searching for confirmation. In response, he inhales deeply and redirects his attention to the road, his grip on the steering wheel betraying a tension as if his very existence depended on it.

Why would he do that?

My dad had always been meticulous, especially when it came to avoiding animals on the road. He had a knack for stopping at just the right moment. So, why on earth did he hit that deer? Wasn't he focused? But no, he was concentrated throughout the entire drive. His gaze never wavered from the road.

Growing increasingly frustrated with his seeming carelessness, I summon the courage to question why he wasn't attentive enough. The stern look he shoots my way warns me to choose my words carefully. Discouraged, I avert my gaze, turning away from him as we approach our mysterious destination.

An hour later, we finally arrive at our destination. Stepping out of the car, my dad instructs me to follow him. I hesitate, glancing around at the vast expanse of trees and fields that surround us. Despite my uncertainty, I exit the car and approach him. He stands in front of a colossal gate, his hand tightly gripping his jacket.

"What are we doing here?" I inquire, locking eyes with him. The tension in the air thickens as he walks towards me, taking a deep breath without meeting my gaze. An uneasy silence lingers for a minute before he finally breaks it.

"Sky, you'll be staying here for a while."

"What do you mean?"

"I've got some things to take care of, Sky. You'll be staying here with this family." His words linger in the air, and I fix him with wide-eyed disbelief. My mind struggles to comprehend the situation. Is my own father truly leaving me with strangers?