-7- Aftercome

I slept peacefully for the first time in weeks.

Going to school early became my thing, and when Friday finally comes I became sad because I won't have session during the weekend.

After dismissal from Young Catholic Students (YCS), I was rushing to the administrative block to see if I will be lucky to see Mrs. Johnson before I go home.

"Dassah, it's Friday and I was thinking about this weekend, since you've been back to some happy moods lately why don't you come to my house tomorrow?" Ojo said smiling behind me.

"Your house?" fear gripped me.

"Yes my house, what's the matter you suddenly look pale, what girlfriend?"

"uhummmm, nothing, just that I promised Mrs. Brown to babysit Bella tomorrow " I quickly made up something.

"Oh I see....no problem take your time. I will be home if you change your mind alright?"

We hugged and waved goodbyes as she strode away.

"Hey baby, long time no see! Well since we are all by ourselves maybe we could make plans for the weekend." Owen said from a corner smiling towards me. I think he's been watching me.

I felt my heart leaping as I quivered in fear. I stood speechless, his breath of cigarette disgust me as he forced a peck on my nose.

"Just leave me alone Owen, you have to stop harassing me"

"And if I don't? What can you do about it? Tell the counselor if you want, you know what will happen to you if you tell her about our secret right?" He said cuffing my hands. This triggered fear in me.

With tears streaming down my cheeks I thought of his threats. He let me break free and smile wickedly hands in the air as he turn to walk away.

"See you soon" he shouted from a distance as he joined his friends who were waiting for him. I saw them smiling at me as they did their signature handshakes and left.

# # #

I search around for a teacher but didn't notice any; students rushing to go home no one seem to care. Yes today is Friday; teachers should all be in the hall for Friday briefing. I wanted to see Mrs. Johnson so much that I forgot about that.

The walk home was very quick, because I was very scared.

I rang the doorbell and my mom let me.

"Good afternoon mommy"

"Afternoon dear, how was school today?"

"Okay mom"

"What's wrong? "

"Nothing mom, I'm just tired"

I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and walked upstairs with my shoulder slumped.

My weekend was spent mostly in my room. On Sunday morning I tuned to EWTN channel and watched Mass with a very loud volume to let my parents know that I don't need to go to church that day.

I remained in my room all afternoon thinking about many things and mostly how to overcome my fears. Ojo came in the evening, I refused to renew my hair. She got bored and left.

I heard my mom talking to her from my room to be patient with me.

# # #

Monday morning I was wondering if to go to school or stay home again. Our final exam will be in April, I need to get better and study for it.

I quickly joined my dad, he dropped me off as usual no talking just some stare and smiles. Why is he so far from me all the time. I wished he was like Ojo's Dad who is always away but spends all day listening and talking with her when he's around.

The school was ghost quite. "I think I'm too early today". I scanned the compound. Walking through the admin block I noticed Mrs Johnson' office door opened so I walked closer.

I can see her from afar studying a book so calmly.

"Hadassah! Come in"

She looks so beautiful with her shoulder length braids, button down blouse and pencil skirt. She smiled at me and her gap teeth exposed more of her pretty face.

"Tell me, what's going on? Cause you're very early today. Too early".

"Owen threatened me on Friday after school. I think he's been monitoring my movements and very much aware that I see you daily ma'am".

"Listen my dear, he can't harm you again. He has done his worst."

"Ma, I have to stop this therapy and forget about everything...."

"You're not quitting, you hear me. We've made huge progress so we have to keep fighting".

She squeezed my shoulders to soothe my sobs.

"You have to tell your parents now Hadassah"

"No ma'am, I can't...."

"But why dear?"

"You must tell them, I will be there to support you. It's my duty to stand by you".

"Ma, you don't understand, they will blame me. My Dad will kill me if he gets the chance or disown me".

"My dear for you to get healing is to tell your parents"

"I'm sure my mom will shout it for the neighbors to hear and I don't want their disdain and contemptuous words".

I folded my arms in my labs and imagined my parents' reaction.

" I want to pray with you if you agree"

She flung her hands in the air.

"No problem ma'am, I seriously need it, if God still sees me as his daughter"

We both clapped our hands with our eyes closed in prayer.

Dear father, we are grateful for everything you have done in our lives. We are sorry for our sins.
We your daughters need your power and might to show us that we are no longer slaves to fear, but beloved children of yours, we pray in Jesus name. Amen

"Amen!!"

"Okay dear, don't worry about talking to your parents too much. We will prepare for it till Wednesday, it's that okay?"

"Wednesday?"

"Yes why? Will that be a problem?"

"It's okay ma"

"Hadassah, I'm here for you. Call me if you have any flashbacks or nightmares alright?"

"Okay ma, thanks"

"Don't thank me yet, just do your part. It will be over soon, pray when you feel scared or read Psalm 23".

"Thanks Mrs Johnson, I really appreciate everything you are doing for me"

"See you tomorrow".

I grabbed my backpack and wore it. We embraced like mother and daughter, I'm so glad God sent her. Our formal psychologist was so mean and strict. I'm sure God is aware of everything and puts things in place for us.

The rest of the day was very fast to me, I wished Wednesday will take longer hours but what can I do? Tomorrow is the day.

I kept my distance from everyone including Ojo who was becoming impatient with my attitude lately.

Soon everyone close to me will know the truth.

# # #

Thanks for reading.
Please leave a comment and vote for my work.

Have you ever felt so scared 😱 in your life? What did you do to overcome it?