-18- Surprise

After spending so much time with my family and son, I realized that my life has been given a huge task. I found myself talking about diapers more than the teenage discussion of crushes and fashion. I watched him developed so quickly, for each stage of his growth, there were celebrations of his achievements every month in our home.

Once I took him to Lifecamp for the weekend, my parents kept video calling till we got back. Nathan gave our family a new reason to gather at the table for meals, even my dad that seems to hang out with his friends before rushed home after work.

I got admission to Baze University to study Psychology. The school was very expressive but my parents promised to do their best for me. I always sneaked him for the weekend just to be with Nathan.

Making friends was never my thing, the only friend I had ever made was Ojo. I thought of her and our friendship. The decisions I made to keep away from her was for my safety. I tried to return smiles in class and waves but that was all. Each time a girl approached me and started speaking for more than some minutes, I quickly makeup something and leave.

I love my own space. Whenever we were given a group project, I get so nervous because during presentation questions were always thrown to all group members. I was so glad to have survived the first year.

***

Ms. Johnson and Mr. Jeffrey became so close in love that I have to give them some space. I reduced my weekend visit but she still followed me home whenever is aware that was around.

She arrived one weekend with Mr. Jeffrey to our house. My parents were so happy to receive them.

I watched how he looked at her as if he was seeing her for the first time. She was playing the rocket with Nathan after the meal. And the rest of us gazing at her and the child smiling.

Our attention was brought back by the clearing of Jeffrey's throat.

"Sir and ma, you see... The reason we came here is not just to check on Nathan but to also inform you of our engagement."

We all clapped to the news and my mom hugged Ms. Johnson. I noticed her blushing.

"Congratulations my son."

My dad said with a handshake.

"Thank you, sir."

He returned to his seat after the handshake.

"Nathan will be the ring bearer," Meg suggested.

Causing everyone to laugh.

"Of course Maggie. Who else deserves it right?"

Ms. Johnson said tapping Meg.

I felt so happy for the love birds, they deserved it and more. They've both gone through wrong relationships. Ms. Johnson married to an abuser and Jeffrey was engaged to a cheat who eloped with his best friend and their savings for the wedding.

They look so alike and shared the same views. Even though Ms. Johnson wished for a prince charming of Cinderella, Jeffrey was just right like the earth. My grandma always says that God gives us want we need and not what we want. They need each other.

The weekend preparations were done perfectly. My family was so excited as if it was my wedding. I was so shocked and happy to be the maid of honour. The colours were so sweet, sky blue and red. The wedding was a week after my second-year exams. I had time fixing everything she asked for.

I have been to weddings with my parents before and my aunt's wedding but never felt excited as I felt with Ms. Johnson's wedding. Nathan was the center of attention, he was posing for people to take photos of him. He shoved his hands in his pockets walking side by side with the groomsmen.