-8- Betrayal

Today is the day I will let the cat out of the bag. I have to share my secret with my family. My parents kept talking about the government and news making the headlines from the radio. I wonder how they will react to everything as I felt quickening flash of heat rushing through my veins.

"Hadassah dear, are you sure you don't know why we are asked to come this early?"

"No dad, I have no idea"

Sweat broke out on my face.

"Well if you say so, I will just get a space to park the car". My mom and I waited for my dad at the administrative block.

///

Mrs. Johnson welcomed my parents and offered them tea but they were too curious for the meeting that they refused it.

"Mr. Obi, I'm the school psychologist. I invited you here today because of an issue that needs proper handling right now."

"What has my daughter done please?"

"Madam, you just have to tell us whatever it is" my mom added as she stood up from her sit.

"Mrs. Obi please sit down"

I felt a knob growing in my stomach when Mrs. Johnson got serious.

"Have you noticed anything different with your daughter for the past four weeks?"

"Y...Yes, why?"

"You see, Hadassah was raped weeks ago and has been traumatized".

"What?"

Fear seeped into me as I watched my parents' reaction.

My mom shook her head violently whispering no no no no.......

My dad on the other hand got up with his eyes blazed.

"How did this happen? Why are we just aware now and who did it?"

"Calm down sir, that's why I sent for you and her mother. You will learn about everything sir, I just need your understanding and support".

"I'm listening Hadassah, how did it happen and when?"

I fought the tears of humiliation gathering in my eyes as I narrated everything to my parents. My dad stormed out of the office and my mom spread her hands in the air wailing and calling my name.

"How many people know about this Hadassah? You just want to put me in trouble with your father right?"

"Ma'am I think you should calm down and think about what you saying"

But my mom stood up and waved her hands in the air said. "Mrs. Johnson this is too much for us to bear today, please excuse us."

I huddled in the sofa and hugged my knees.

"Hadassah.....calm down, we expected this right? Your parents are just shock with the news. I'm sure they will come around".

"Can you still go to class today?"

"At this point ma'am, nothing matters"

"Okay, here is what we will do, I will take you home and talk to your parents again."

////

We waited for my mom to return from work. She got home late for the first time about after 6pm, she walked passed us by the door and headed straight to Mrs. Brown's apartment and returned with Meg.

I offered Mrs. Johnson a bottle of water from the fridge as we waited for my mom to sit down but she kept pacing and going up and downstairs. After thirty minutes of waiting my dad arrived home and fear started growing in my stomach. He glared at me and spoke between his teeth as he walked upstairs ignoring Mrs. Johnson's greetings.