sixteen

VICTORIA'S POV

1 WEEK EARLIER

It had been about a week or at least we thought. Both of our phones had died so the only way we could keep track of time was through day and night. For the first two days we drove, we thought that if we kept driving we would be able to find a way to drive out of this place the same way we drove into this place.

Hahah we were wrong and now we are out of gas and stuck wandering around aimlessly. Another thing that kept happening was the black figure, it was like it was always following us. We would glance around and catch a glimpse of it before it disappeared as if it was never there. 

We were going crazy.

One thing we did come to realize was that we were now completely human. No powers, no extra abilities, nothing.

Just absolutely useless.

Around the third day, we decided to enter into the woods, in search of water and food. Luckily we found a small creek that we were able to drink water from so we wouldn't stay dehydrated. 

We used some empty water bottles in Bradlee's car to fill up with creek water and we decided to continue walking in hopes that we could find anything. Anything that would give us a clue on how to leave this damn place.

"I can't fucking keep doing this Vic. I am hungry. Usually, we can go months without food but now we are human and I can't even last 5 fucking days."

"Humans can last three weeks without food Bradlee," I said stepping over a tree branch.

"Well, not this human."

I rolled my eyes and paused, trying to find some sense of direction. "Let's take a break."

"Finally," Bradlee said sitting on a tree stump and stretching his legs. I chose to stand as I listened for something. It was silent there was no wind, no birds, no bugs.

"What the fuck is this place," I spoke out loud. "There is no life."

"Vic, look it's back." I glanced at where Bradlee was pointing to, sitting on a branch not too far away from us was the black figure. It was just watching us.

"Okay, asshole what do you want with us. You have been following us this entire time give us a fucking hint or something." Bradlee yelled towards it.

The figure just sat there unmoving, completely ignoring Bradlee's statement. I watched it and for some reason, I felt as if it was watching me too. After a while, the figure got up and flew away leaving us behind.

"Once I get my hands on that b-"

"It is a test," I said turning back to look at Bradlee.

"It is testing us. The only way to get out of here is if we pass this test."

"Why would it be testing us?" Bradlee said getting up and from the tree stump.

"I don't know, but why else would that thing be following us it's watching what we do."

Bradlee nodded his head in agreement and smiled. "Then let's pass this test."

****************************

"Bradlee, do you hear that? It's a river."

"Yes, I do. I read somewhere that civilizations tend to form near rivers we might find something."

Bradlee and I smiled at each other and started to walk towards the sound of the roaring river. We knew we had made it there because of the slight spray of water that landed on our clothing and face.