thirty five (2)

VICTORIA'S POV

The woodland seemed ominously quiet. Bradlee and I paused, our heavy footfalls now silent, all that could be heard was the susurration of the leaves in the gusty wind. Something was off...it was too quiet.

It was like we were no longer being followed.

Bradlee began to walk forward, but I stopped him just as sharp jagged rocks sprouted from the dirt, right at the place he was going to. They were here.

The moonlight shined through the trees, being our only source of light in the night. Bradlee and I ran through the woods letting the path of the moon lead us. We weaved through, trying our best to not get stabbed by the jagged rocks growing from the Earth.

I hissed when one of the rocks nipped at my dress, ripping open the side of my dress and cutting me in the process. Bradlee looked at me and stopped, "You're bleeding."

"It doesn't matter, let's keep moving," I mumbled as I ripped at the bottom of my dress, using the torn fabric to stop my wound from bleeding out.

"One of them is in the sky." Bradlee murmured as we continued to run through the woods. "I can't find the other one." He continued, I nodded and let my eyes trail up, making eye contact with beady red eyes.

"I'll take him."

Bradlee shook his head, stopping me from flying up. "Save your energy...I'll take him. A few rocks didn't hurt anyone."

"Yeah, it killed them instead," I argued, trying to stop him from going. Bradlee just laughed before propelling himself in the air, leaving me alone in the woods. I heard grunts and yelling from above as Bradlee fought against the Yomi.

It took everything in me not to go up and help him, but I had to trust him...I knew he could do it. I decided to focus on the task at hand, getting to the clearing. I began moving, letting the glow of the moon guide me.

"You're all dressed up, whose funeral is it." I paused as I heard a voice behind me, I turned around quickly, but was met with nothing but darkness.

Invisibility.

I closed my eyes and stood still, listening to everything around me. A smile came to my lips when I heard light footsteps circle me.

"Yours." I murmured before landing a kick right to his face. I couldn't see him, but I sensed him and that was more than enough for me to kill him. He grabbed my leg causing me to land on my back.

"Ow...your heel is pretty sharp. It would be a shame if I stabbed you with it." He snatched my heel off my foot and lunged towards me. A small gush of wind hit the side of my face just as he brought the heel down.

I rolled over, the heel missing my eye by a few inches. "Do you know how expensive this heel is?" I complained as I got back on my feet.

"Then I'm sure you would hate to get blood on it." He teased, the only thing visible was the heel in his hand as he circled me.

I rolled my eyes as I watched him, "It won't be my blood on that heel."

"Oh...is that a challenge?"

"No, it's a promise."

He sprinted towards me, jabbing the heel forward. Reflex kicked in quickly causing me to duck, trying my best to kick his legs out. I missed, giving him a chance to throw me into a tree.

A groan fell from my lips as I laid at the base of the tree. I peered through squinted eyes as he began to walk towards me....well, the floating heel. His invisible knee pushed into my side as his hand held my face down.