Chapter 14 - The reason

Kaori's P.O.V

After dinner, I searched for hours, but to no avail. I sat down, wondering where she was. Most teachers didn't seem to care that she was missing, some of them saying that she probably went to the bar and got herself drunk again, which in all honesty could be true, but there's no way she would do that, right?

After a while, I could see Stella walking towards me, smiling.

"Hey,"

"Hey, Stella."

"About earlier, I meant it."

My head was spinning again. How was I supposed to tell her that I still loved Kisaki without hurting her? She offered me her room to stay with her, took care of me when I was discharged of the hospital, and now she was giving me her heart.

"Uhm, Stella, I, uh—"

"You don't have to say anything," She said, giving me a smile that suggested that she knew I was still into Kisaki, "I know that you still love her and it was my mistake that I kissed you in front of her. I just remembered the events from that night when she was drunk and I just acted without reasoning."

Much to my confusion, I asked, "What do you mean?"

"Before she went inside and interrupted us earlier in my room, I was going to tell you what exactly happened on that night."

I stood up, needing to know what happened, taking her hand and bringing her outside.

"Please tell me." I was always curious as to what she meant when she said Kisaki had been whining about her 'love problems', and now I was about to hear, if not, the reason as to why she was possibly acting the way she was for the past few days, otherwise at least enlighten me on her true feelings.

"Once you hear this, I know you'll hate me for keeping it for this long, but I couldn't tell you before and I'm sorry." She said, letting out a sigh and then continued, "On that night, your teacher said that she lost you. I've never seen someone in such a painful situation and I'm pretty sure that the alcohol was taking a toll on her, but it was genuine. I don't know what happened between you guys, but she did repeatedly say that she broke up with you and she lost you. I tried looking more into her strange behaviour, but I couldn't figure it out."

The sudden revelation left me flabbergasted. I couldn't make out what was happening anymore. If she truly loved me, why was she denying it this whole time? Was there something that I was missing?

"Thanks for telling me and I know this is selfish of me, but..." I took her into a warm hug, breathing in her floral scent that strangely calmed me all the time, "there's no way I could hate you. I am grateful that you came into my life, but I just can't forget about her. She's someone that, although I try everything to push her out of my life, she still stays at the back of my mind."

"I know, Kaori. I guess by kissing you earlier I messed up your relationship even more, didn't I?" She asked, perturbed.

"It's fine. I was still figuring out the situation as well and thanks to you, I at least know that she loves me."

We walked around for a few minutes, talking and making small jokes just like the first time we met. I was happy that my relationship with Stella didn't get ruined after all that happened. We returned back to the hotel lobby, sitting down when we heard people talking outside.

Stella stood up as she said, "It's already quite late, who could it be?"

When she turned around, she froze. I began worrying, what had her stopping so suddenly?

"Stella? What is it?" I asked.

She quickly looked at me and said, "K-Kaori, it's nothing. I-It was just some regular couple taking a walk outside."