Chapter 2

And as promised, here is the second chapter. Enjoy!

"As much as I love you, Ginny, you just have to stop trying to set me up with people." Hermione huffed, pulling at a box full of books.

"I'm sorry." Ginny said, smiling sheepishly. "I swear I thought he was nice. He liked books, just like you do." Ginny added defensively.

"Yeah, the lewd ones." Hermione snorted, waving her wand and making the books fly onto the bookshelves.

"Well, he is a man after all." Ginny said, waving her wand and helping Hermione with the books. "I'm sure the next one will be better. His name is Henry and he works..."

"No!" Hermione said quickly. "There won't be a next one, Ginny. I won't meet any of the other guys you have lined up for me."

"Oh, you're just so subborn. I am sure one of them would be good enough." Ginny huffed in defeat.

"I am not being stubborn." Hermione said indignantly. "I just have my standards, that's all. Is it so much to ask for a guy to know how to talk to a girl? Or how to keep his hands to himself on the first date?" Hermione added rolling her eyes.

"Is that what he did?" Ginny asked, a vivid curiosity evident on her face.

"He talked only of himself and kept touching my hands and arms. And after a while, he started touching my legs under the table. I swear, he was worse than how Cormac McLaggen had been at that party Slughorn gave in our sixth year." Hermione finished with a groan.

"I'm really sorry, Hermione." Ginny said genuinely.

"It's alright. It's just my luck." Hermione said, smiling at her friend.

She waved her wand and the last books placed themselves neatly on a shelf. With that, she had finished unpacking almost all of her things. She looked around the small, but comfortable looking flat, sighing contently. There was a fireplace in the sitting room, a bedroom, a bathroom and kitchen and even a small terrace, facing the quiet street and a small park behind the building.

After having lived with Ginny for three years, she was now renting a flat by herself in a small building near the Ministry. The building was owned by wizards, ensuring proper protection and communication through owls and floo.

There were only two flats per floor, which made Hermione feel more at ease. That meant things were bound to be quiet, exactly what she needed. Her life was agitated enough with work and her friends as it was. She didn't need any more stress from noisy neighbors.

"Where is Crookshanks?" Hermione asked, looking around again, just then noticing her ginger cat missing.

"I don't know. Haven't seen him in a while." Ginny said, charming Hermione's clothes to settle into the wardrobe. "He must be here somewhere. Probably on the terrace?"

"Maybe." Hermione said frowning.

It wasn't like Crookshanks to go wandering around, but she couldn't blame him. They were now in a new place, so perhaps he needed the time to check the surroundings.

"Done." Ginny said, grinning proudly. "You're all set Hermione. Just remember, if you need anything, Harry and I are just a floo away." She finished, hugging her friend tightly.

"Thank you Ginny. I hope you and Harry will be happy living together."

"Oh, I know we will be." Ginny beamed at her. "I have to go now. Talk to you later, Hermione. Don't forget the house-warming party next week."

And with that Ginny disappeared to the house she and Harry were now living in. They were newlyweds and looked so happy together. Hermione couldn't help but smile at the memory of them saying their vows and kissing.

A knock on the door snapped her back to reality. She turned her head and watched as a man slowly pushed the already opened door.

***

"Blaise, aren't you supposed to be at work?" Draco said annoyedly.

"Nah, took a day off. Thought you might like the company." Blaise said grinning seeing Draco's scowl.

"Well, you thought wrong." Draco said under his breath.

The next day after their meeting at the pub, Blaise helped Draco move in with him. Narcissa had wanted Draco to stay with her at the Manor, but he insisted against it. His argument was that being closer to the Ministry was better and more comfortable. He knew that Apparating or Floo could have brought him closer to the Ministry regardless of where he lived. The reality was that he wanted to be as far away from the Manor as possible. He didn't think he could live there, see those rooms and hallways without remembering all the horrors that happened behind those walls.

"Let's go out. I'll show you the surroundings." Blaise said, shaking Draco awake from his dark thoughts.

"No, thanks. Maybe later." Draco said waving a hand. "You go. I could use a little bit of quiet and rest." He drawled at his friend.

"Fine. I'll leave you be, but I'll be back in an hour." Blaise huffed, disappearing from the room.

After he was left alone, Draco paced around the flat, trying to get used to the new place. It was a rather small flat, at least compared to the Manor, but it looked better than most of the places he's seen in his travels. It had a common room with a fireplace and two leather armchairs, two bedrooms, each having its own bathroom, a kitchen and a small terrace. Draco looked through the windows and noticed a patch of green across a narrow street. He'd gotten used to living in all sorts of places, some shabbier than others. This flat though, felt more comfortable than he'd experienced in a while.

Thinking that he might as well listen to Blaise, Draco decided to go look around the neighborhood. It wasn't like he didn't intend to do it at all, it was just that he preferred to be alone. He found himself in want of solitude quite often.

Turning from the windows, Draco marched towards the door.

Might as well check the building first. He thought, opening the door and taking a step outside the flat.

"Ouch!" he instantly yelped, as his foot collided with a rather big and flat cardboard box.

Draco took a step back, looking at it apprehensively.

What in Merlin's name is this thing doing here and who does it belong to?

As if answering his question, he heard a loud 'meow' coming from the stairs. He saw a ginger cat walking slowly towards the box. When he reached it, the cat stopped and stared at Draco, his yellow eyes narrowed dangerously. Draco returned the stare, quite baffled by the strange creature. It looked as if it was thinking about something. After a moment, and just when Draco was about to speak, the ginger cat let out another 'meow' and started walking along the hallway.

Draco leaned sideways and glanced at its ginger bushy tail. The cat stopped in front of a door that had been left ajar. That was the door of his only neighbor. According to Blaise, the building only had two flats per floor. They heard noises and movement sounds all morning, making them suspect a new tenant has just moved in.

Perhaps this box belongs to them. Draco thought, looking down at the box.

The cat meowed again and pushed the door open. Taking it as a confirmation, Draco took out his wand and charmed the heavy box. It slowly glided towards the door the cat just opened, Draco one step behind it. He knocked once before pushing the door open in order to allow the box to slowly float inside.

A fraction on an instant he saw the back of a woman, before she quickly turned to look at him, evidently startled by his appearance. Draco let out an audible gasp, his brain freezing, allowing the charm on the box to vanish. He heard a loud cracking noise as the box hit the floor, but he couldn't bring himself to care.

There, in front of him, stood none other than Hermione Granger.

Thank you all for reading this story! I hope you found the beginning entertaining.

I will be posting at least twice a week if not more. It should go smoothly as I already have the story mostly figured out. Until next time!