Chapter 31

The next morning, Harry Potter was in for a big surprise. As soon as he got to work, he heard the Minister and the Head Auror wanted to talk to him.

"You are expected in the Minister's office, Mr. Potter. They are both waiting for you there." His assistant told him as soon as she saw him.

"What in Godric's name would they want with me so early in the morning?" Harry mumbled to himself, but went, nonetheless.

When he reached the Minister's office, he was surprised to see Ron waiting in front of the door.

"Blimey, Harry, you too?" Ron said in a whisper, his eyes flashing worriedly. "What do you think has happened?"

"I don't know." Harry whispered back and just then the door opened wide and a sturdy man beckoned them to enter.

"Ah, good morning, Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley." The Minister said, flashing them a wide smile.

He was sitting at his huge mahogany desk, sheets of paper neatly placed in stacks in front of him. To his right, Head Auror Kingsley Shacklebolt was watching Harry and Ron intently.

"Good morning Minister." Harry and Ron said in unison. "Good morning, Mr. Shacklebolt." They added turning to look at the Head Auror. He simply nodded his head in reply.

"Now, I am sure you are wondering why I called you here so early in the morning." The Minister said seriously.

Harry and Ron both nodded without saying anything. They were indeed beyond curious and anxious to know the reason they have been both summoned there. It had to be serious if the Minister himself wanted to talk to them.

"The reason I called you here today is because I have decided we are going to attend Mrs. Malfoy's Halloween ball." The Minister finally said and after a short pause, in which Harry and Ron both gaped at him in shock, he added "I can imagine you are both very surprised. It has come to my attention that she wants to host a ball and I decided it is good manners to attend."

"Good manners?" Ron blurted out, eyes bulging out from shock. Harry on the other hand remained quiet.

"Yes, Mr. Weasley, good manners." The Minister said coolly. "The woman helped bring about Voldemort's demise by lying about Mr. Potter being dead. She deserves the courtesy." The Minister finished with a small huff. "Now, I expect you will all leave past quarrels behind and attend this event. If you would be so kind as to let Mrs. Granger know as well" the Minister addressed Harry with a small smile on his face. "She is taking the day off, so I couldn't tell her myself."

"Of course, Minister." Harry nodded.

"I've already discussed with the Head Auror and he will take care of the security details."

"There's no refusing it now." Harry said wearily as soon as he and Ron left the Minister's Office.

"How did he even find out?" Ron asked, a scowl plastered on his face.

It was clear he did not like the idea, to be forced to go and enjoy a ball at the Malfoy Manor. Harry could not blame him. It was the last thing he wanted, but part of him had to agree with the Minister. Narcissa helped him a great deal when she lied to Voldemort, and that meant he owed her.

"I don't know." Harry said shrugging. "Perhaps she sent him a personal invitation."

"Or perhaps she complained to him about you not accepting her invitation straight away." Ron grumbled. "Blasted Malfoys and their connections."

***

Meanwhile, Draco Malfoy was far from feeling the delights of such connections. He had received a note from his mother, letting him know the Minister himself will be attending the ball, therefore it was expected of him, Draco, to make an appearance.