Chapter 26

"What the hell was that back there, Malfoy?" Harry shouted, finally catching up with Draco.

They were in the Atrium. It was well past the working hours and the place was empty.

"You saw perfectly well what happened Potter, or do you need to change your glasses?" Draco snarled, quickening his pace.

Harry dashed after him and caught him by the back of his shirt, turning him around forcefully. They were now face to face, glaring openly at each other.

"What do you want Potter?" Draco growled.

"I want to understand what happened" Harry insisted, frowning at Draco.

"Potter, you told Weasley to stun the man if he tried anything. Well he did try and managed to piss me off terribly, therefore I stunned his arse. Happy?" Draco snarled, turning his back and getting ready to leave.

"Not one bit, Malfoy. I'm not happy with what you did, nor with your answer." Harry huffed, grabbing Draco by his shirt again, earning a loud curse from him. "What was he raving about?"

"You know perfectly well what he was talking about. I already told you." Draco snapped, shoving Harry's hand away.

"But how did he know about it?"

"I do not know that, Potter. Perhaps he was there, perhaps he was one of them. I don't know!" Draco shouted exasperatedly. "Now leave me alone and go back to her." he added in an undertone, turning his back at Harry. "She is probably hurt and confused. Go back to her and make sure she is alright."

With that he left, choosing the first Fireplace he reached and returning to his flat. Harry remained there, staring as the green flames disappeared, then turned around slowly. He let out a gasp, stopping dead in his tracks. Hermione was standing behind him, her eyes wide and full of tears.

"Hermione..." Harry said quietly, but she simply shook her head, tears streaming out of her eyes.

***

When she finally got home, Hermione felt like she had taken the wrong potion. A headache was forming in the back of her head and she walked around the flat as if in a daze. Confusion, fear, anxiety, sadness, all these feelings were raging inside her fighting for supremacy. In the end, she collapsed on her bed, curling up underneath the blanket, not wanting to think about anything. But that was obviously impossible. Every time she would close her eyes the image of the Dark Mark engraved on Draco's forearm appeared behind her eyelids, making her eyes snap open. She had seen the panic rising in his eyes when he realized she had seen it, how his body tensed and the manner in which he left the interrogation room. It was obvious as daylight that he was hurting as well, but why did he have to leave like that? Why not stay and explain it to her? She would have listened, she would have trusted him enough to hear his side of the story.

Crookshanks let out a soft meow and reached her under the blanket, bumping his head against hers. He curled up beside her and started purring. Hermione stretched a hand and brushed her fingers through his soft ginger fur.

"What am I going to do, Crookshanks? What should I do?" she whispered to herself.

She let out a deep sigh, closing her eyes once more. The feeling of confusion overwhelmed her. In the beginning she had been interested to know more about Draco Malfoy, but as time passed, she started feeling more interested in the person rather than his past. That allowed her to see past his appearances and get to know him rather well. This fact also led to her developing feelings for him, and now those feelings made everything even more hurtful.

After Draco left that day, Harry told Hermione everything he knew, about Draco Malfoy, about what had happened in the past and his involvement in the event that led to her losing part of her memories, avoiding to mention the fact that Draco himself Obliviated her. He had felt that part was Draco's story to tell.

Hermione somehow hoped that by knowing everything it would help her remember something, anything about Draco, but it was futile. Her mind stubbornly remained blank of any images of a teenage Draco Malfoy. She even had half a mind to hate Harry for keeping everything from her, but part of her understood why he had done it. He only wanted to protect her, and she could not hate him for that. After all, she was sure she would have probably done the same if roles were reversed.

That night she had an agitated sleep, tossing and turning until early in the morning. Her mind was haunted by images of trees and a blonde man with gray eyes, looming over her, his wand raised. She felt scared, panic clutching at her heart as she heard his voice bellowing a curse. Flashes of broken memories succeeded in such a way that made it impossible for her to know which one was real and which one was a fabric of her feverish mind.

When she finally woke up the sun was just starting to rise. She cursed herself for not being smart enough to take a Dreamless Sleep potion before going to bed. Nevertheless, the agitation of sleep helped her in deciding what she was going to do. She would go and talk to him, demand of him to tell her everything. That way, she would know for sure what was true and what was a lie.

With that resolution in mind, she got out of bed, changed, and went straight for Draco and Blaise's flat. After knocking twice, the door finally opened, and Blaise appeared in the doorway.

"Hermione." He said, not really looking surprised by her arrival.

"I think you already know why I am here." Hermione said in a hollow voice.

Blaise simply nodded in response, stepping aside, and allowing her to enter the flat. Hermione looked around before turning to Blaise.

"Is he here? I'd like to talk to him." she said with an intake of air. She was trying to look more confident than she felt.

"He's in his room. I'll get him in a moment." Blaise said and left the common room.

When he opened the door to Draco's personal space, he saw his friend sitting on a chair, head in hands.

"Hermione is here to see you, Draco." Blaise said quietly, not knowing what more to add.

Draco let out a deep sigh and got up to his feet. He slowly walked towards the door, placing a hand on Blaise's shoulder as he passed by him. He tried to smirk but only managed a grimace. His features were the pure image of hurt, Blaise thought, feeling a pang of pain for his best friend.

"Draco, are you sure you want to do this? It's not too late to change your mind." Blaise said, stopping Draco before he could leave the bedroom.

"Blaise, I already knew this would happen. There is no need to drag on any longer." Draco said, a tinge of impatience in his voice.

"But, Draco, if she knew then perhaps..." Blaise tried but was cut off.

"She won't know, Zabini and I suggest it remains like that." Draco said warningly. "She had enough pain and sorrow to last her two lifetimes. Adding more to it would be the biggest sin I could make. This ends now, today."

And with that he pushed past Blaise and entered the common room. There he found Hermione sitting on the couch, her hands placed on her lap. She was playing with her fingers, looking down, replaying in her mind everything she wanted to say. For that reason she didn't hear Draco enter the room. He had to clear his throat to get her attention.

"Draco." She breathed out, jumping to her feet. 

Thank you all for reading this story! Curious about their conversation? Then stay tuned for the next chapter. Until then, have a wonderful day! ^_^ <3