Chapter 32

"Was that wise of you, Ginny?" Harry asked his wife for the tenth time that day.

She had just told him about the short conversation she had with Blaise about Hermione and Draco. During a checkup visit to St. Mungo's she just happened to bump into Blaise. They started talking and somehow they reached the very delicate subject of Draco and Hermione.

"What if he shows up and makes a scene?" Harry continued to speak, following a frowning Ginny across their bedroom.

"Then I'll know he really cares about her." Ginny snapped, turning around so suddenly Harry bumped into her. "Honestly, I don't know why you're making such a fuss. It's not like I lied or something." She huffed, crossing her arms menacingly.

"No, of course not, but still." Harry said, pressing his hair down with one hand. "You told him she is going with McKinley."

"That's because she is." Ginny retorted, turning her back at Harry and going about her business.

Harry sighed. He wanted Hermione to be happy as well and was even ready to accept Draco Malfoy into their lives for that purpose, but he somehow had a bad feeling about all this. Even if he was a changed man now, Draco Malfoy wasn't someone to trifle with. He was proud and possessive. Harry was sure he would turn feral as soon as he would see Hermione with someone else.

"Let's just hope you know what you are doing, Ginny." Harry sighed in defeat. "I for one just hope that I won't have to drag McKinley's body out of there when Malfoy finishes with him."

"Don't be silly." Ginny said dismissively. "Malfoy can behave himself. I used to be more worried about Ron, remember?" she added with a chuckle.

***

The night of the Halloween ball came, and Hermione was feeling more nervous than ever. She was looking in the mirror, amazed by what she was seeing. She opted for the 'nymph of the woods' appearance and was surprised of the result. The cream-colored dress she was wearing was long and flowed in small ripples around her legs. The fabric was like water, glossy and smooth. Thin straps held it in its place, revealing Hermione's arms and neck. She had let her hair free of the tight bun, trying for a more natural hairstyle. It flowed in loose curls, small white pearls scattered across it, making it look like she had stars in her hair. She had kept the makeup as light as possible, thinking it would go better with the theme of her costume.

Looking down from her face, Hermione saw the thin scar on her right shoulder and let out a deep sigh. She was beautiful, yes, but scarred. She managed to charm the 'mudblood' scar on her forearm so it would not show, but for some reason, she decided to leave the one on her shoulder.

Suddenly, she looked at the time. It was ten minutes before McKinley would come and pick her up. They had agreed to meet in front of the building, that way she wouldn't be taken by surprise by his sudden appearance.

"Why have I agreed to this? What was I thinking when I said yes." Hermione berated herself in a low whisper.

She was now having second thoughts. Robert McKinley had been kind enough to ask her to go with him as soon as he saw her a few days ago at the Ministry. She had been so shocked and surprised, that she accepted without thinking much. But now, she regretted it.

What if he comes? What am I saying, of course he will come. It is his house, his mother throwing the damn ball. Of course he will come.

Her internal rambles were interrupted when a silvery creature came through the window and settled in front of her, hovering a foot above the ground. Hermione looked at it in astonishment. It was a small silvery dragon, who spoke in a deep Scottish accent.