Chapter 4

"How did she react when she saw you?" Harry asked, eyeing Draco seriously.

"Like it was her first time seeing me. She didn't remember me. She even..." Draco stopped and looked down at his hand, "she even shook my hand and... and smiled." He finished quietly, the image of Hermione smiling at him flashing in front of his eyes. He shook his head quickly, trying to chase away the image and the feeling of his heart pounding in his chest.

"Bloody hell." Harry groaned, rubbing the back of his head, ruffling his black hair.

"What happened, Potter?" Draco asked, suddenly sounding serious.

Harry looked at Draco for a moment, seeming to consider something. He finally sighed, apparently making a decision. He cleared his throat and spoke in a low voice, leaning back into his chair.

"The next day after the Battle of Hogwarts, a group of Death Eaters came back, trying to take revenge for Voldemort's demise. We were on patrol that day, checking the premises of the castle. Ron and I wanted to stick together, but Hermione insisted we split up, said it was more efficient that way. She was placing protective spells on the surrounding area of the castle when she was attacked. She tried hard to fight them off, but they had her surrounded. We only found three Death Eaters knocked out just a few feet away from her. She was out cold."

Harry's voice broke. He took a deep breath, trying to find his voice, unaware of Draco's change in expression. Blood was almost entirely drained from his face and his already pale complexion now made him look like a ghost. Dread and horror entered his eyes, as he stared at Harry, without really seeing him. His mind flashed images of a fight, yells and screams as curses flew in every direction, his voice muttering a curse and a brown-haired figure falling, toppling on the ground.

Draco shook his head vigorously, trying desperately to keep his mind clear of all the images and sounds. He focused his eyes on Harry, waiting for him to speak again.

"It took Hermione two whole weeks to gain consciousness after that attack." Harry finally continued, his voice shaking slightly. "When she came around, we realized something wasn't quite right with her. She seemed confused, not able to recall certain things. Then, after several weeks, she slowly started to regain her memory, but a few blanks still remained. She couldn't remember some of the things that happened at school, the horrible events from the Malfoy Manor, the torture, Dobby's death, nor some of the things that happened during and after the Battle of Hogwarts. For a while she wasn't herself, but she soon started to gain back her abilities and that amazing brain of hers." Harry smiled fondly. "You know, she is working at the Ministry of Magic, for the Department of Magical Legislation. These past three years she's been fighting hard against the inequalities between species in the magical world."

That's Granger alright. Draco thought, feeling slightly impressed despite himself.

"Seeing how she quickly regained her health, we didn't read too much into it and the Healers said it was probably due to shock. They thought she might have erased those memories herself in order to protect her mind from them. It wasn't unheard of before. I never imagined she would forget someone entirely, like she's done with you. She still remembers Voldemort after all, but some of the things that happened are just... gone." Harry finished with a sigh.

As Harry's words sunk in, Draco's breath caught in his throat, making him choke and gasp for air. A deathly pallor rose on his face and his hands started to shake.

"It was me. It's my fault. I did it." He kept mumbling.

Harry blinked and looked at him in confusion. He couldn't understand the reason why Draco Malfoy would be so affected by what happened to Hermione all those years ago, or why would he say it was his fault.