Chapter 39

Next day, Hermione was sitting in her hospital bed with her wand clutched tightly in her hand and a deep frown on her face.

As soon as Draco had disappeared, Theo brought her to St. Mungo's. Blaise had fussed over her state the entire night, not letting anyone get close to her, not even Ginny. No one really knew what the potion McKinley gave her really contained and what could be the side effects. Therefore, everybody was worried about her, while Hermione herself was feeling rather frustrated.

Harry and Ron had remained behind, trying to round up as many of McKinley's followers as possible and they still hadn't returned. There was also no news from Draco or McKinley.

Hermione was now waiting for another checkup from Blaise when she heard the sound of footsteps approaching. Her head jerked up so quickly, it hurt her muscles. A man entered and without a word settled himself onto a chair close to her bed.

"Theo." She said, trying to smile, but she could not keep the disappointment out of her voice.

Who were you waiting for, Hermione?! The scoundrel who lied to you? The one who took away part of yourself by Obliviating you? If you are waiting for him, then you are downright stupid, Hermione Granger.

While she berated herself in this manner, Theo sat in silence, watching her carefully.

"It's alright to feel angry, Hermione. And quite normal to be confused." He said quietly after a few moments.

"You knew didn't you? You all knew." Hermione said the last part more like a statement than a question. She stared at Theo blankly.

Theo nodded his head as a manner of saying yes and fell silent again. A minute later he spoke, brushing a hand through his black hair.

"He hated it, you know. What he did to you while you were children, as well as the more recent events. Three years ago, the day after the Battle of Hogwarts ended, he told us everything. We listened to him in stunned silence. When he finished, he got up and said goodbye. A week later he left the country and never returned for three whole years. I think all that time he had been trying to make amends, to redeem himself by catching Dark Wizards."

"That's just stupid. Why not come and apologize? Why not admit what he did?" Hermione snapped bitterly.

"I think he was too scared to do it. He had told himself he did that to protect you, to take away your burden, so it didn't feel right to bring it out himself."

Hermione scoffed. Theo sighed wearily.

"Just remember one thing Hermione, before you judge him too harshly. He is a scarred man, who was never taught the difference between right and wrong. He had to learn that from his own experience, and he made mistakes, lots of them. But one thing I can say for sure: when it came to you, he did wrong in order to do right."

With that, Theo got up and left Hermione alone with her own thoughts. She frowned, thinking about Theo's last words.

Doing wrong in order to do right? What the hell is that supposed to mean?! She huffed in annoyance.

Outside Hermione's ward, Blaise was waiting for Theo.

"Well? Has her murderous intentions subsided?" Blaise asked his friend as soon as he stepped out of the room and closed the door behind him.

"I don't believe she had them to begin with." Theo said with a nervous smile. "She's upset Blaise, and rightly so. Despite his reasonings, what Draco did was wrong,. Therefore, it's normal for her to feel deceived."

"Poor Draco. No matter what he does, he ends up doing something wrong." Blaise sighed sadly. "Still no word from him I take it?" he added quickly, giving Theo a hopeful look.

Theo shook his head.

"Nothing yet. We don't know what happened to him or to McKinley for that matter. They both disappeared without a trace."

***

A few days later, Blaise finally decided it was safe for Hermione to leave the hospital. The twin Veritaserum's effect seemed to have worn off, just like it would have happened with a normal Truth-telling potion. Hermione was happy to hear that. Ever since the recent events, she kept feeling a combination of anger and disappointment, making it more and more difficult to interact with others. Soon enough, not many people were able to put up with her rising temper. Harry and Ron smartly avoided her, knowing full well what it meant to get in her path while she was angry. Ginny was the only one who still managed to deal with her friend's temperament, and probably the only one whom Hermione listened to.

The night before her discharge, Blaise came to see her. He found Hermione sitting up in her bed, mumbling something to herself. As soon as she saw him, her mouth closed shut.

"Ready to get out tomorrow?" he said with a broad smile.

"Oh yes!" she said enthusiastically. "No offence Blaise" she added quickly, "you have been wonderful, but I just can't stand sitting here like this." Hermione said annoyedly.

"Don't worry, I understand where you're coming from. Just make sure to stay away from red heads from now on, alright?" he joked. "They bring about all sort of trouble."

"Hmpf, as if blonds are any better." She said before she could stop herself.

Seeing her sheepish expression, Blaise let out a humorous laugh.

"I see you still haven't forgiven the stupid bloke."

"There's no chance of that happening anytime soon." She said in an undertone, avoiding Blaise's eyes.

He stared at her for a moment, his brows knitting together. Silence fell between them, until Blaise finally broke it with a sigh.

"Hermione, I have something for you." he said, pulling out an object from his hospital robes. "He doesn't know I read it and he would probably kill me if he ever knew I've given it to you. Nevertheless, I think you ought to have it." He added pointedly, shoving a piece of parchment in front of her.

"Why are you giving me this?" she asked eyeing the yellow parchment suspiciously.

"Because it was meant for you." Blaise said simply. "He never meant to send it, but Draco wrote it for you. Before he left three years ago, he gave this to me and told me to burn it because he could not bring himself to do it. At first I thought he was just acting stupid, but after I read it, I understood. Until this day, he believes I have destroyed it, but I have kept this, hoping one day I will be able to give it back to him."

Hermione took the piece of parchment with a trembling hand, looking at it apprehensively.

"Why give it to me now?" she asked staring Blaise in the face.

"Because now is when you need it." He said evenly. 

Thank you all for reading this story! If you're curious what the letter said, stick till the end ;) Just two more chapters to go! Until then, have a wonderful day! ^_^ <333