Chapter 12

Meanwhile, Draco Malfoy had fallen asleep in the common room of his flat. He was sprawled on the couch, mouth slightly open, with a book laying on his chest. In his sleep he saw images, memories from the past, flashes of light and sounds mixed together into a confusing motion picture. Soon he started to sweat, cold drops sliding along his forehead and covering his face. His body twitched and he let out several harsh gasps without waking up.

He was seeing trees, a small group of people ahead, he could hear yells and screams and his own hand raising in front of him, holding his wand. Muffled and hoarse, Draco heard his own voice muttering a curse and a figure fell, crumpling on the earth beneath his feet. Trembling, he looked up and saw hooded figures staring at him, heard them laughing and pointing at the figure that laid on the earth in the middle of the group.

"Leave her! She's mine!" he heard himself say, desperately trying to keep his voice steady and cold.

His eyes looked down and fell on the face of the person who was immobilized on the ground. He heard sounds of leaves ruffling and he knew he was alone with that person. He raised his wand and stopped for a moment. Soft sounds were reaching his ears, coming from afar. Sobs, someone was sobbing nearby, but who? The person in front of him was silent, only her eyes were alive, staring up at him. The brown in them seemed to burn holes in his very soul. Another rasp sobbing noise and Draco jerked upwards, waking up from his sleep, his heart pounding in his chest, his breathing erratic and shallow.

A dream. It was just a dream. He kept saying to himself, but knew it wasn't just a dream. It was real, a memory from his past, something he wanted to forget and something he tried to make someone else forget as well.

A second after waking up, Draco picked up the same sobbing sounds he heard in his sleep. Confused and still feeling shaky, he got up and brushed a hand across his forehead, whipping the sweat away. He looked around and tried to find out where the sounds were coming from. With a jolt of panic, he heard them from across the wall that was common with Hermione's flat.

"Granger!" he whispered in a panic-stricken voice.

Not standing around to think about what he was doing, Draco got out of his flat and stopped in front of Hermione's door. Sure enough, soft sobs could be heard coming from the other side. Without wasting another second, Draco raised his wand and cast a spell on the door. It flung open and Draco burst inside.

"Granger, what's wrong? What's happening?" He bellowed.

In a few strides he was inside the sitting room, turning on the spot, taking everything in, trying to find the source of the crying.

He heard a sniff and whipped around, ready to cast a curse on whoever was harming Hermione. The scene that met his eyes left him standing there, wand raised, looking dumbfounded. Hermione was sitting on her couch, curled up in a blanket, napkins all around her. She was staring at him, eyes wide, shock and surprise all over her tearstained face. It appeared she didn't realize it was him, because as soon as she saw his figure, she started sobbing louder.

"He died. Why did he have to die? He should have lived... for her." she said, sniffing her nose.

"Died?!" Draco said, dread gripping his heart.

Had Potter or the Weasel died? If not, who else would she cry so hard about dying? Or was is Crookshanks?

"Mr. Malfoy?!" she gasped, arousing Draco from his thoughts. She was finally able to see through her tears and was just realizing who he was. "What are you doing... here?" she said with a small hiccup, almost choking on the last word.

"I..." Draco said, staring back at her blankly.

"Yes, indeed. What are you doing here, Mister Malfoy?" a voice said, emphasizing on his name.

Ginny just appeared in the room, freshly showered and dressed in pajamas. She had her hands on her hips and was looking at Draco with a mixture of amusement and bewilderment.

Her question made Draco flinch. He stared from Ginny to Hermione, shock plastered on his face. Suddenly the reality of the situation hit him harder than a hammer. He was standing there, in the middle of Hermione's flat, wand raised and probably looking like a bloody idiot. He groaned, closing his eyes for a moment. How was he going to explain this to her?

Draco's eyes snapped opened instantly.

"I... I am... I'm sorry." He said and turned to leave so hastily that it almost looked like he was running away from something.

The door closed behind him with a loud bang. Ginny gave Hermione a puzzled look.

"What was that all about?" she asked.

"I... don't know." Hermione breathed out, hiccupping again.

***

When Draco got back, Blaise was sitting on an armchair, a newspaper in his hands and a glass of firewiskey in front of him.

"You're back." Blaise said rather distractedly, without looking away from the paper.

Draco slumped on the couch, leaning his head back and closing his eyes. A soft groan escaped his lips. That made Blaise close his paper and look at him, carefully examining his friend.

"What's wrong with you?" He asked curiously, raising his eyebrows.

"I'm a bloody idiot. A real frigging idiot. Did you know that?" Draco said quietly, eyes still closed. He raised one arm to cover his forehead and pressed it against his eyes. He let out another groan.

"Well, yeah. I've been trying to tell you that for a while now." Blaise mocked, then his tone and expression changed. Something about Draco's attitude didn't seem right. "Seriously, mate. What happened to you? One of those nightmares again?"

"If only that was all." Draco sighed.

Blaise's eyebrows shot even higher. Draco was acting strange indeed. Usually his nightmares were pretty ugly and most of the time they left him completely extenuated. It wasn't something one would think about as 'a fun experience'.

"What could possibly be worse than those nightmares, mate?" Blaise asked worriedly.

Several minutes later, Blaise was laughing hard, clenching at his sides, while Draco shot glares at him.

"You didn't!" he breathed out through hysterical laughs.

Draco had just finished telling him about his 'heroic' attempt and Blaise was having a ball with it. Every time he tried to imagine Draco's and Hermione's faces he was hit by a laughing fit so hard that it was almost impossible for him to speak.

Tired of his friend's hystericals, Draco finally got up and went to his room. He was just closing his door when he heard Blaise chuckle one last time.

"This is bloody hilarious. I wish I could have seen it. Lucky Mrs. Potter."

Snapping the door shut, Draco groaned again.

Potter. If his wife saw me, then he will surely find out about it. He'll probably roast me alive.

During that night, Draco kept tossing and turning, not able to sleep. He kept thinking about everything, from his dreams and what they meant, to Hermione and her tearstained face. He remembered the way his stomach felt when he thought she was in danger and a shaky breath escaped from his mouth. This whole thing was definitely not good for his heart.

Thank you all for reading this story! I hope you enjoyed the 'drama' as well as the small hints in Draco's nightmare ;) Stay tuned to see what happens next! Have wonderful day!