Chapter 30

"That's a strange motto." Harry said quietly, gazing at the writing.

Looking at it gave him a strange feeling, like a nervous lurch in his stomach. After a short moment of silence, Harry looked up at Draco. He had to ask, but doing it made him feel rather uncomfortable. The man was after all his father.

"Can we really believe this, Malfoy? I mean your father has been known to lie..."

"He had no reason to lie about this, Potter." Draco said simply. "Besides, it took him a while before he remembered anything about the guy. Like I said, for many years he was almost like a ghost. It may not be much but at least we have a lead now."

Harry nodded and picked up the scrolls. With an earnest look he passed them to Draco, who took them looking quite surprised.

"You keep these safe. I will ask some of my trusted people to investigate the Pyrites family. Hopefully, we will find something soon. I don't think you discovering these in a Death Eater hiding place and the recent events are a coincidence."

"Neither do I. If a Pyrites family member came back to light, then we are on uncharted territory. We know nothing about who they are or what they are capable of." Draco said darkly.

***

Later that week, Harry, Ginny and Ron were having dinner together at Harry and Ginny's new place. They had invited Hermione to join them, but she had refused saying she had to work overtime.

"I think she hopes work will drown her mind enough to stop thinking about him." Ginny sighed.

"She always liked to work. I'm sure she's fine." Ron said through a mouthful of food.

Ginny clicked her tongue, giving her brother a scathing look. He had always been way too oblivious for his own good. That is probably why he never ended up with Hermione, Ginny realized. At least he was happy enough with Lavender. She was simple enough for his taste.

'What about the other stupid one of the party?" Ginny said, looking at Harry expectantly.

"The bloody idiot keeps getting himself into trouble." Harry sighed wearily. "Once, he came back so badly hurt that it took two days for him to get better. Blaise was so furious I thought he might strangle him first. He even threatened Malfoy that next time he shows up looking like that, he will refuse to heal him and let him bleed to death."

"I see him capable of doing that." Ron said pointedly.

"Yeah, me too." Harry said with a nervous smile.

He avoided mentioning his recent meeting with Draco. For some reason, he preferred to keep it a secret for now. There were still so many unknown variables to the story.

The three of them spent the rest of the time talking about something else, when suddenly a tap came from the sitting room. Ginny got up to check and came back holding a letter. The look on her face was serious.

"It's for you, from... Narcissa Malfoy." Ginny said quietly, looking at Harry.

Harry and Ron both chocked on their food. Ginny placed the letter on the table, and they all stared at it apprehensively.

"I think you should open it." Ginny nudged Harry.

"Alright." Harry said, picking it up and opening it with trembling hands.

"What does it say?" Ron asked, craning his neck trying to see.

"She is inviting us to a ball." Harry said in a tone of surprise, his eyebrows shooting up. "Apparently she is throwing a Halloween ball on the 31st at the Malfoy Manor and is inviting all of us to attend."