Chapter 22

That night Blaise was making his rounds, feeling tired as hell. He had just left his last patient and was now leaning against a wall in the corridor, trying to catch his breath. A Junior Healer saw him and asked him how he was. At that, Blaise started cursing under his breath.

"Bloody awful! Between the patients we've had from the party at Hogwarts and the ones we already had, it's been one hell of a day!" Blaise grumbled, letting out a deep breath, closing his eyes for a moment.

"Then you're done, sir? For the night, I mean?" the Junior Healer asked, feeling slightly intimidated by Blaise's previous answer.

"Almost. I still have one more to visit and then I'm done." Blaise replied, opening his eyes and slowly pushing against the wall.

"One more, sir? Then would you like me to do it? I'd like to help if I can, sir." the young Healer said all too eager to please Blaise.

"Nah, that's alright, Junior." Blaise said, slapping the young man on the shoulder as he went past him. "This one I have to check on myself, otherwise you'll find out I've been murdered by my best friend." Blaise finished with a smirk and walked away leaving a confused Junior Healer behind.

Blaise took the corner and in a few minutes he found himself in front of Hermione's ward. Everything was silent and there was no one around at that time. He was actually glad for it. After the attack on the party he half expected the place to be swarmed with Aurors and Ministry people, but he was grateful Potter had stopped all that. The hospital had taken care to place people to protect the patients if there was the need for it, but without being conspicuous.

After waiting for a moment, Blaise slowly pushed the door opened and peered inside. He saw Hermione's sleeping form and after half a minute of watching her, he seemed satisfied and was about to leave when a sound stopped him in his movement. There were soft rustling noises coming from the bed, as if someone was tossing and turning. Blaise blinked against the darkness and took a step inside the room. As he got closer to the bed, he could hear soft moans and whimpers.

With a wave of his wand he lit the room enough to see Hermione thrusting in her sleep, face scrunched up as if in pain, letting out sobs and whimpers from time to time. Blaise felt anxious to wake her up and therefore started talking to her, gently shaking her by the shoulders. When that didn't seem to work, he raised his voice a little. That clearly didn't have the desired effect because as soon as Hermione heard his voice she started shoving him away, her face mirroring the internal pain she was feeling.

"Hermione, stop! Wake up!" Blaise tried again but only managed to draw a small yelp from her.

"No, don't! Don't do it... don't do... it" Hermione whimpered in a feeble voice, thrusting around even more violently.

At this point Blaise was downright worried about her and was even considering placing a spell on her to calm her down. He hesitated for a moment though, not knowing what effect that might have on her, considering the state she was currently in. Cursing himself for not taking the Junior Healer with him, Blaise made another attempt at waking Hermione up.

"Granger wake up, dammit!" he said through gritted teeth, getting a hold of Hermione's arms, trying to stop her movements.

That seemed to have jerked Hermione awake from her nightmare. She looked up at Blaise, fright and terror all over her face, her eyes glazed over and her breathing erratic. Blaise wasn't even sure if she knew where she was.

"Hermione, you're safe now. It was just a dream." Blaise said wearily.

He was feeling relief at seeing her awake, but the moment Hermione turned her face to look at him he felt anxious all over again.