Chapter 28

Draco decided to take matters even further. As if breaking up with Hermione was not enough, he made the decision to leave England. He felt the need to drown himself in work in order to feel he was doing something useful. He also wanted to catch the Dark Wizards that still plagued the country.

When Draco told Harry about his plans, the raven-haired man exploded. He threw his quill down, splattering the papers with ink.

"Do you really have to go that far, Malfoy? Wasn't enough that you broke up with her? Harry asked impatiently, then added in an undertone "along with braking her heart."

Draco glared at Harry. He did not appreciate someone reminding him of what he did, especially if that someone was Hermione's best friend. It was bad enough he could not forget it or forgive himself for it.

"Are you really that stupid, Potter?" Draco spat, completely ignoring Harry's offended look. "These guys are vile, and they clearly have something against me and my family. If they found out how much she means to me do you think they would just sit still and do nothing?" he finished, slumping down on a chair, frantically brushing his hair with his hands.

Harry looked at him for a moment, unsure of what to say. He couldn't entirely blame Draco for this decision. Judging by what they knew, these Death Eaters had it bad for the Malfoys, so it wasn't impossible to see them using Hermione to get to Draco. He slammed his fist against the desk, making Draco jump. The beautiful white owl perched on Harry's chair hooted indignantly. Harry was sadly reminded of Hedwig.

"Those bastards! I'll get them and make sure they pay for every crime they've committed." Harry said through gritted teeth.

"Let's find them first, Potter, before you go about saving the world again. It's been almost a month since we interrogated the guy and we haven't found anything useful yet." Draco said tiredly. "And talking about that, I want a transfer."

Harry's eyes widened in surprise.

"A transfer? What are you talking about, Malfoy? You're my partner."

"I know that, but I want to go north. I want to investigate Scotland and the area where the Aurors found that lunatic who..." Draco stopped, swallowing his words.

Harry knew he was about to say, 'the lunatic who brought about the break up between him and Hermione', but knew better than put salt on an open wound. Instead, he surveyed Draco for a moment, pondering about what that meant.

"You know I can't go with you. There is still a lot to do here, decisions to make. We need a plan before we do anything." Harry said unenthusiastically.

"I know, and I don't expect you to go with me. For three years I have managed on my own, I think I can do it again." Draco said sarcastically.

"Suit yourself, Malfoy. But trust me, killing yourself over Hermione would only make her hate you more." Harry said with a knowing smirk.

Draco fought back a curse. He made a grimace, pushing himself out of the chair. Harry got up as well and went around the desk, stopping in front of Draco.

"Are you sure you won't regret this, Malfoy?" he asked in a serious voice, boring his eyes into Draco's. They looked like steel: icy cold and determined.

"Malfoys don't regret things, Potter." Draco replied with his trademark smirk.

"Sure they don't. They just go on suicide missions to show how much they care." Harry mocked.

"You're pushing it, Potter." Draco said warningly, narrowing his eyes.

Harry shrugged, shooting a smirk at Draco. He continued speaking while waving a hand dismissively.