Chapter 35

"What are we doing here, McKinley?" Hermione asked furiously.

As soon as her feet landed on steady ground she tried to jerk herself away from him, but he kept a firm hold of her arm.

"I see we're not on a first name basis anymore." McKinley said, faking a hurt expression.

"I don't take kindly to people who kidnap and threaten to torture me." Hermione bit out, glaring at him.

"Oh but I did no such thing. Torture wasn't even mentioned." He said with a fake innocent expression.

"It was implied." She said coldly.

Hearing her reply, McKinley leaned his head back and laughed, this time in earnest. He then pushed her unceremoniously against a tree trunk and with a swish of his wand he pinned her with invisible ropes.

"I see now why he likes you so much. You have spirit, Hermione. It's such a pity that he lied to you."

"Who are you talking about?" she asked through gritted teeth.

"Draco Malfoy." McKinley said in confirmation, a wide grin appearing on his face. "It's too bad he choose to steal it from you."

"Steal what?"

"The truth."

"You're insane." Hermione bit out, confusion and desperation suddenly spreading inside her mind. Her back was starting to feel cold against the tree trunk and her hands were hurting from the tight bonds that held her immobilized.

Someone approached them, heading straight for McKinley. Hermione repressed a shudder at the sight of him. He was wearing long black robes and a white mask was covering half his face. He stopped a step away from McKinley and bowed his head in deference.

"Is everything ready?" McKinley asked coldly.

"Yes, Master. They are waiting for you there." The man said with another curt bow.

"Perfect." McKinley said, a satisfied grin flashing across his face. "Let's go, my dear. We shall wait for Malfoy to arrive."

He moved his wand and Hermione's bonds snapped clean. She felt her body free, but a second later McKinley had a firm grip on her shoulders.

"Don't try anything stupid or brave if you want to see his face again." He growled in her ear.

Hermione's body wobbled slightly, and she felt a shiver down her spine. His words and tone made her feel sick to her stomach. This man was no longer the funny, kindhearted, and cheery Robert McKinley she knew. The one holding her was an evil man, a Dark Wizard who sought to destroy everything she cared for. In her eyes, he was a threat to the Wizarding World, just like Voldemort had been.

For a moment, she remembered the war, the fear and terror she felt during those times. She remembered Voldemort and his followers chasing after them, doing everything in their power to enslave the world.

Her mind then moved in a different direction. She thought of her current situation. There she stood, unarmed and vulnerable, at the mercy of someone she thought was a friend. She thought of Draco and the way McKinley had spoken to him. There seemed to be something there, a past between them.

With a heavy push, McKinley aroused Hermione out of her thoughts. He guided her through the trees and they soon reached a pair of tall iron gates. With a jolt of panic, she looked up and realized where they were.

Hogwarts! We are near Hogwarts. This is the path the carriages take to reach the castle. But how can this be? The place should be protected by powerful spells...