Chapter 34

"McKinley." Draco said, in a low dangerous voice.

There, a few feet away from them, stood Robert McKinley, wearing his beautiful Scottish costume and a smile that wasn't reaching his eyes.

"I must say, I was surprised hearing you confess like that. Though, I am disappointed you haven't told her the entire truth. Still hoping you can avoid it?" McKinley continued to speak in a low, temperate voice.

Draco's blood ran cold, and he instinctively placed himself in front of Hermione. She let out a soft gasp, looking at the man standing in front of them in pure shock. There was something very wrong with him.

"What do you mean by that?" Draco asked through gritted teeth. Hermione felt his body tensing and saw his hand slowly reaching for the wand.

"Oh, there is no need for you to play dumb, Malfoy. I think you know perfectly well what I am talking about." McKinley said in a jovial tone.

Despite the cheerfulness in his voice, his eyes told a different story. His usually joyful green eyes were now starring at them in deep revulsion, showing a malevolent desire to hurt. The grin plastered on his face made Hermione shiver, involuntarily pressing herself closer to Draco. He noticed that and he grabbed her hand tightly, pushing her behind him.

Noticing this gesture, McKinley leaned his head back and a crooked laughter escaped his lips.

"There's no need to act so protectively, Malfoy. I do not plan to hurt her." McKinley said with a pointed glance towards Hermione. "Not unless you force me to, of course."

At that McKinley pulled out his wand and took a step closer towards Draco and Hermione.

"Now, if you've finished this wonderful display of emotion..." he began but a jet of red light shot from Draco's wand, missing McKinley's head by inches.

Draco cursed through gritted teeth. McKinley, on the other hand, remained impassive. He let out a deep sigh, pretending to look hurt.

"Seriously, Malfoy. I thought you were a smart man."

With a swish of his wand McKinley disarmed Draco and used a spell to brutally push him to the side, away from Hermione. He fell and hit his head on the hard ground. It took him several seconds before he could see and hear properly again.

In the meantime Hermione had managed to pull out her own wand and pointed it at McKinley. Taking a deep breath she cast the disarming charm. The next moment McKinley's wand was flying through the air, falling on the ground a few feet away from them with a soft thud. She then rounded up on him, forcing him to move so that she was now standing between Draco and Robert McKinley. She held her wand raised at shoulder level, her chest heaving rapidly.

"Nicely done, Hermione." Robert McKinley said, with another cheery clap. "No wonder you were able to keep Potter alive long enough to defeat Lord Voldemort. That boy would have been long dead if it weren't for you." he added with a sneer.

"Robert, what is going on? Why are you doing this?" Hermione pleaded, taking deep breaths, trying to calm down.

No matter how hard she tried, she just could not understand the present situation. Why was Robert McKinley attacking Draco and her like that? What was going on?

"My dear, part of the reason I am doing this is you. Don't you want to know the truth?" he said, raising his eyebrows and looking expectantly at her.

"What truth are you talking about, Robert?" Hermione asked coolly, her eyes narrowing, a deep frown appearing on her forehead.

"You'll know soon enough. This is not the place to reminisce." He said, looking around for a moment before continuing to speak in a pensive tone. "No, I believe we should go there. What better place to find out the truth, than the place where it all happened."

He moved suddenly, taking Hermione completely by surprise. In a split second he pulled out another wand from the inner pocket of his jacket and disarmed Hermione with a sharp movement. In two quick strides he closed the distance between them and pulled her closer to him. She tried to fight him off, but Robert McKinley was too strong for her.

"Let me go, Robert! Stop this!" Hermione shouted at him, struggling in his tight hold. He ignored her completely.

In the meantime, Draco managed to recover his fallen wand and got back to his feet. Dread gripped his heart when he saw Hermione being held tightly by McKinley's iron grip. He raised his wand and shot another curse at McKinley, but he deflected it with ease.

"We'll be waiting for you at the place of your worst sin, Malfoy. Make sure to find us before it's too late." McKinley told Draco, a dark expression appearing on his face.

Draco raised his wand higher and shot a bright white curse at him, but McKinley disappeared in a black smoke, taking Hermione with him.

"Fuck!" Draco cursed.

With a trembling hand he pushed his hair back, feeling desperation sipping inside his soul. What if McKinley was going to hurt Hermione and there was nothing he could do to stop him?

It's my fault! It's all my fault!

The moment McKinley mentioned the truth he knew exactly what he meant. He knew. Robert McKinley knew about what Draco had done that day and he was going to tell Hermione. She was going to find out in this horrible way, instead of hearing it from him. For the first time since they met again, he regretted not telling her. Until this moment he only thought about how to conceal everything from her, but now he just wanted to be allowed to tell her the truth himself.

There's no time for bloody regrets now. I have to save her first.

Tightly clenching his wand, he went towards the house in search for help. When he approached the end of the gardens, he saw Harry in front of the main entrance.

"Malfoy! There you are!" Harry shouted, running towards Draco. "I've been searching everywhere for you. Listen I think I found out something about..."

"Potter, he's got her! He took her away!" Draco cut him off.

"Who? What are you talking about?"

"McKinley. He's got Hermione!" Draco shouted desperately.

Harry's eyes widened in shock.

"Malfoy, McKinley might have something to do with Pyrites." Harry said sharply.

"What nonsense are you spouting, Potter?" Draco bit out, feeling his temper rising. He couldn't care less about Pyrites at that moment.

"The book, the one you told me Argus Pyrites wrote... Hermione told me earlier tonight that she saw it... in Robert McKinley's office." Harry finished with a pointed look.

Draco's stomach tightened. Things were going from bad to worst and Draco was starting to feel more wretched by the second.

"This is not good, Potter. If he is indeed related to Pyrites and he has Hermione..." his words trailed off. Draco's insides went cold and for a second, he couldn't breathe. Everything was going to hell and he was the only one who could stop it.

"Do you know where he took her?" Harry asked, jerking Draco out of his thoughts.

Draco nodded, a grim expression covering his face.

"Hogwarts." he said quietly. 

Thank you all for reading this story! And the drama has begun. Stay tuned for the next chapters to see what happens. Until then, have a wonderful day! ^_^ <333