Chapter 9

During the next two weeks Draco kept thinking about Hermione. What Theo told him last time they met kept nagging at the back of his mind. It seemed so easy in theory, but Draco knew it was anything but easy. There was no way he could ever tell Hermione what had happened, what he had done even if it was in order to protect her. No, the safest thing to do was to put as many feet between himself and Hermione as possible.

The workload had increased during this time and Draco was grateful to have something else to occupy his mind. At the beginning, working with Harry Potter had not been easy, but they soon started to feel like a team. Draco realized Harry was a rather good and capable Auror, and Harry on the other hand, had to agree that Draco was not the arrogant git he used to be. On the contrary, he seemed to enjoy going on the field and working long hours without complaining once.

One day Harry and Draco were sitting in Harry's office, going through documents and recent unsolved cases. Harry had just received a note and was reading it intently. As he perused it, his eyebrows started to come together into a frown.

"Bloody hell." Harry exclaimed once he finished reading the note, making Draco look up from his papers.

"What happened?"

"Look at this." Harry said, charming the piece of parchment so that it landed neatly in front of Draco.

Draco let down his quill and picked up the note. He read it slowly and by the time he finished, he was frowning as well.

"Bloody hell." Draco exclaimed, mimicking Harry. "Is this for real?" he asked, his eyes intent on Harry's face."

"I'm going to talk to the head of the Department and see what they know. If we are lucky we might get assigned to check out the facts, so best get ready for a long journey."

Draco nodded in response and, as Harry left the office, he glanced down at the piece of parchment still clutched in his hands. His brows furrowed deeper in concentration. If what the paper said was right, they had a chance to catch a big group of former Death Eaters. Draco felt his heart beat faster in anticipation.

Harry returned to the office half an hour later, his eyes glowing with excitement.

"I just finished talking to the Head Auror. Apparently one of the teams came back with intel about several former Death Eaters forming a group and planning some kind of movement against the Ministry. Based on the information they managed to gather, the group is hiding somewhere in the north. Scotland probably, but we can't be sure."

"What's the plan then? Do we go and check it out?" Draco asked, getting up to his feet.

"We will have to go do a raid. Start with the York region and see what we can find. Ron is going to join us as well. They wanted at least three people on the team."

Draco was just about to protest, but Harry cut him off.

"I know what you're going to say, Malfoy. Ron is a capable Auror and one of the best strategists we have. He is coming with us and that's that. If you don't like it, take it up with the Head Auror, he made the teams."

Draco scowled at Harry and let out a frustrated huff. Harry smirked and went around his desk, collecting whatever papers he thought might be helpful in preparation for their mission. He knew perfectly well Draco wouldn't complain about the situation, as long as he was allowed to go on this mission. It took Harry a lot of persuading to convince the Head Auror to trust Draco and allow him to go on raids. Draco also knew that the only reason he was allowed to be this involved was because Harry Potter had vouched for him, making him his partner.

"Oh, there's something else." Harry said suddenly.

"What now?" Draco said a bit too harshly.

He was feeling a bit frustrated. Having to work with Harry Potter was one thing. They were both mature enough to forget their childish feuds, but Draco had reason to believe that with Ronald Weasley it was a different matter entirely.

"No need to be so snappish, Malfoy." Harry bit out. "Apparently a new Auror is coming to the office today. He is a transferee from the north. He's name is Mc-Something." He added, scratching the back of his head.

"Couldn't even remember a name, Potter?" Draco drawled, leaning back against his desk, crossing his arms.

"Well, I wasn't paying attention to that. Besides, I'm horrible with names." Harry said defensively.

Just then, the door of the office burst open and Ron entered like a storm.

"Harry did you hear? There's a new guy coming to the office today. A Scottish bloke called Mc-Something or other." Ron said, scratching the back of his head.

"Apparently birds of a feather do flock together." Draco smirked, eying Ron maliciously.

"Shut up, Malfoy." Ron snapped, his ears becoming red.

"Don't worry, Weasley. Potter here couldn't remember the name either." Draco said gesturing with his head towards Harry, who was glaring at him. "Is it such a complicated name or is it just too difficult for you to remember more than one thing at a time?" Draco drawled.

"Sod-off, Malfoy." Ron shouted, clenching his fists, and taking a step towards Draco, who looked ready to take out his wand anytime.

"Guys cut it out! We should be working together not acting like little children." Harry intervened, looking from Draco to Ron. "We have an important mission ahead and if you want to avoid being taken out from the team, I suggest you behave like grownups."

"Alright, Potter. No need to let your blood pressure rise." Draco said, pushing against his desk and walking past Ron on his way to the door. "I'll be waiting for your owl with the hour of the departure. I have some things to take care of in the meantime."

Harry nodded.

"Alright. I'll send you an owl with the details later."

"Wait a minute!" Ron said quickly. "Where is he going when we have a mission to prepare for? Or is he letting us do all the work?" he added angrily, gesturing to Draco.

"He's a Consultant, Ron." Harry sighed wearily.

"So?" Ron asked in confusion.

"That means he can come and go as he pleases, as long as he is ready for the mission. And he is ready, aren't you, Malfoy?" Harry asked Draco with a frown.

"I always am, Potter. You worry about yourself and the Weasel. He seems a bit weak at heart to me." Draco smirked and with that he left the office, snapping the door shut behind him.

"I hate him!" Ron snarled, glaring at the door.

"Ron." Harry started with a tired sigh. "Let it go. Besides, he isn't all that bad when he isn't trying to be an arrogant prick."

Ron huffed but stopped complaining. He also heard about how good Malfoy was, but it was just too difficult to completely forget how much they had hated each other during the Hogwarts years.

This will be one difficult mission. Harry thought pensively, thinking about how Malfoy and Ron will act towards each other. First I had to be a referee between Ron and Hermione and now it is Malfoy and Ron. I wonder how Lupin managed to stay between my dad and Sirius without feeling the urge to punch them in the face.

Thank you all for reading this story! Since I'm on a roll today, and this chapter was pretty short and non-eventful (though I hope you liked their interaction ;) ) I will be posting the next chapter today. It has Dramione scenes so make sure to check it out! Have a wonderful day everyone! ^^ <3