Chapter 5

And as promised here is the next chapter for you to enjoy! ;)

Several days had passed and Draco had to admit that staying away from Hermione was proving to be a much more difficult task than he had initially anticipated.

After he so graciously helped her with her missing box, Hermione felt strangely attracted to her mysterious and handsome neighbor. It wasn't like her to fawn over men, but this Draco Malfoy seemed different than the others.

To Draco's horror and annoyance, Hermione made a point out of greeting him whenever they bumped into each other or ask him questions about how he liked the place or what he did for a living. All the while shooting smiles at him. He avoided her questions as much as possible and hoped that by acting rudely, perhaps it would make her give up on trying to talk to him.

Why do I feel like I am starting to do the same things I used to do while we were in school? What kind of sick joke is this? He thought in frustration after such an interaction with Hermione over what he liked to do on his days off. He had answered shortly that he liked to be left alone in peace and quiet and, for the first time, Hermione seemed to be hurt by his answer. He felt a twinge on pain in his heart but quickly pushed the feeling out of his mind.

To make matters worse, Hermione's cat, Crookshanks, made a habit out of entering Draco's terrace, by escalating the edge of the balcony. Every time Draco had to take him back to Hermione, while trying to act disinterested and annoyed. Blaise, who now knew the situation, found the whole thing very amusing and made fun of Draco whenever he saw the ginger cat jumping into their balcony.

"Draco, your ginger friend is back to see you." Blaise was shouting one day, calling for Draco.

"WHAT?! AGAIN?!" Draco yelled, running into the common room.

"He must really like you, Draco, if he comes all the way here to see you." Blaise snickered.

"Shut up, Zabini. You take him back to his owner for once. I'm through with doing it." Draco huffed, crossing his arms.

"But why? I thought you liked seeing Granger smiling at you instead of shooting you disgusted looks. And besides, I'm pretty sure she would prefer if you were the one to bring back her cat." Blaise teased.

"Zabini, I swear I'll curse both you and the cat if you don't shut up." Draco snarled, starting to get his wand out.

"You wouldn't!" Blaise said in fake indignation. "Just look at him. He's so cute." he continued, patting Crookshanks gingerly on his head.

"Hmpf!" Draco scoffed. "He's a foul creature who does this just to torment me. You know what Potter said, Zabini. I have to stay away from Granger, but how the bloody hell can I do that when her damned cat comes here every other day and I have to take it back to her?!" Draco said despairingly.

"Since when do you listen to the 'Chosen One', Malfoy?" Blaise sneered, knowing it will rile up Draco even more.

"Since he has a point for once." Draco snapped. "We agreed it was for the best that I stay away from her and..."

A soft knock on the door made Draco stop short in his ramble. His breath caught in his throat, knowing very well who was at the door. Who else was going to be there, two minutes after her cat came to his house?

"What if she doesn't want to stay away from you, Draco? Have you thought about that?" Blaise said with a malicious grin.

"Shut up, Blaise." Draco said with a groan.

He looked defeated, reaching the door in a few slow strides, dreading the moment when he would have to open it. He kept thinking that it wasn't because he didn't like seeing her, on the contrary. He enjoyed seeing her smile, looking calm and relaxed, as if she were the happiest person alive. But every time he would think that, he would remember everything she went through, everything that happened to her, everything he did to her. And when that happened, he expected her to suddenly remember him and he would dread the moment when hate would envelop her features.

Another knock jolted Draco out of his dark musings. With a deep breath, he opened the door slowly, careful to place his mask of indifference on his face.

"I'm so sorry to barge in." Hermione started nervously, giving him a small smile.

"I believe this belongs to you." he said drily, grabbing Crookshanks by the middle and pushing him in front of her.

The cat meowed angrily, not grateful for the way his body was dangling in the air. Hermione hurried to take him from Draco's hands and her smile faltered when she saw his expression.

"I suggest you take better care of him, Miss Granger. One day he might disappear if he keeps running away from home." He said curtly.

"Ah, y-yes, yes of course. I apologize..." Hermione said quietly, cradling Crookshanks in her arms.

"No need to. Good day, Miss Granger." Draco said, slamming the door in her face.

The last thing he saw, just as the door was closing, were Hermione's brown eyes. They looked watery, as if she was trying hard to keep tears from falling. Draco felt a jab of guilt in his heart but fought to suppress the feeling. He turned around from the door and saw Blaise looking at him.

"Nice, very nice. You really are a charmer, did you know that?" Blaise smirked.

Draco glared at him and went straight for his room, not deigning to answer. He felt very angry but knew very well that the anger was directed towards himself. He felt angry with himself for hurting her all over again. For a moment he thought it would be best to move, to find another place to stay, maybe go back to the Manor. He knew his mother would have been happy.

No, running away won't solve anything. We still might bump into each other at the Ministry.

He let out a loud sigh, leaning against the window, feeling the cold glass against his forehead. He saw the terrace outside and frowned.

Damn cat. Why the bloody hell is he coming here all the time? I don't even like cats.

Thank you all for reading this story! Stay tuned for new updates soon! ^^ Have a wonderful day!