Chapter 13

Two days later, Draco was sitting on a chair in Harry's office, trying to focus on what the raven-haired man in front of him was saying. It was proving to be difficult, though, as his mind kept flying towards other thoughts. Ever since that night, he kept thinking about what he should do, and he was finally determined. One way or another, he had to do something, or he would end up losing his mind. Or so he felt, at least.

"Potter, I can't do this." Draco blurted out suddenly.

"It's just a bloody raid, Malfoy. What do you mean you can't do it?" Harry cried out, rather frustratedly. "Considering how difficult it has been to convince the Head Auror to allow you in, I would have thought you would be grateful."

Draco turned to look at Harry, not seeming to have heard one single word he spoke.

"I can't keep trying to stay away from her when it's clearly not working. It's driving me nuts, Potter." Draco groaned, brushing a hand through his hair.

"And what are you planning to do, Malfoy?" Harry said frowning, suddenly realizing what Draco was talking about.

"I don't know, but I won't deny myself this chance."

"Are you that selfish, Malfoy? You know I won't allow you to hurt her, right?" Harry said in a quiet dangerous voice, clenching his fists over the desk.

"You're not her father, Potter." Draco drawled, not batting an eye at Harrys offensive attitude.

"I'm the closest thing she has to a brother, Malfoy. That counts for something." Harry raised his voice.

"That's not good enough for me, Potter." Draco said, waving a hand impatiently and getting up to leave. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go and get ready. When did you say we're leaving?"

"Two days from now." Harry said through gritted teeth.

"Perfect. I'll see you then." Draco said with a nod before quitting the office.

***

After leaving Harry's office, Draco went straight for the Department of Magical Legislation. He was determined to see Hermione and talk to her if he could. In his haste, he didn't notice someone coming in his direction. The man was reading a file, his eyes glued to the papers, unaware of Draco's hasty approach.

The moment they bumped into each other, the file fell from the man's hands, papers scattered all over the floor, while Draco stumbled on his feet, cursing under his breath.

"I'm sorry." The stranger said quickly, waving his wand and gathering the paperwork back into his hands. "I was walking fast, not looking where I was going and..." he stopped as soon as his eyes fell on Draco.

The man was rather tall, but slender looking. His bright red hair and green eyes caught Draco's attention immediately. That, and the man's strong Scottish accent, made him sure of his next statement.

"You're McKinley, right?" Draco drawled, not even trying to sound polite.

"Yes, indeed I am. Robert McKinley, at your service." The man answered with a wide smile on his face, completely ignoring Draco's rudeness. "And you are?" he inquired.

"Mr. Malfoy!" a voice answered from behind them.

Both men whirled around and saw Hermione approaching them at a fast pace. She was holding a handful of tomes tightly at her chest and was breathing heavily due to the effort.

"Mr. Malfoy" Hermione said again just as she reached them. "What are you doing here?" she breathed out, trying with difficulty to balance the tomes in her arms.