[chapter thirteen]

[her; Alex Alvarez]

We were all sitting in the living room while Elena was getting her tiara fitted. Elena took a quick look at herself in the mirror, before turning to Pen and saying,"Mom, a tiara is a backward symbol of how women are only valued for their beauty, and now that I'm wearing one-" she took another look at herself in the mirror,"I dont care! I love it!" She started squealing before Pen said,"I'm so glad you like it, because tomorrow's your quince, and your only job is to be happy!" She was so happy with her daughter and then she turned to us "Listen up grunts!" I was honestly a bit nervous around her. I was going to be recording the Quinces, Alex was in charge of collecting updates, Abuelita was in charge of the dress, and Dad was the head of transpo. "In 55 minutes we have the final venue walkthrough. And you hear the rumble? Oh yeah" she started circling the couch, and I stayed facing forward out of fear,"That's the sound of 183 Cubans arriving in Los Angeles, 17 of whom will be staying in this room." Dad interrupted her, and spoke my thoughts,"Oh, fire code-wise, I dont think that's gonna-" He was HALFWAY through his sentence when Pen got all up in his face and said,"Shut it!" Dad backed up as much as he could, even though he was sitting down. "I am going on no sleep, and five cuban coffees. Do you really wanna mess with me right now?" Dad whimpered out a sad,"No ma'am.." Pen ignored it and said,"As head of transpo you have one job. Get the cubans to and from the airport. I hope you brushed up on ur Spanish." He had not, and he had also made a fool out of himself! Great going, Dad. Abuelita and Pen started arguing about how different Abuelita is being about two separate Quinces. 

I was supposed to be recording apparently, because Pen said,"Oye, why arent u recording this?" "You want me to film you two arguing? I have hours of that. In here." I pointed at my head, Alex chuckled a little bit, and I high fived him. 

I started recording then, because Abuelita said something about Elena's dress,"Elena, your dress is in the closet. If you should happen to find a straight jacket in there, bring it out here for you CRAZY MAMI." Elena started running towards the dress, and Alex and I followed her while I recorded.

I was talking to Elena about how pretty her dress was after I had set the camera down to face us. Alex had helped us put it on her, the dress is surprisingly heavy. After a minute or so we finally agreed to go show the dress to Abuelita and Pen. I turned on my camera and we walked out of the room. As we were turning the corner, I head Abuelita and Pen talking about Victor, I didnt want them to hear anything, so quickly I turned to Elena and told her that her tiara was loose. Alex tried to interrupt me and say that it wasnt, but I told him to shut up and that he doesnt understand girls before he could do anything else.