[chapter eighteen]

[her; Alex Alvarez]

"Dale, Dylan, dale, you got this!!" 

We were at one of Alex's basball games. I was sitting between Dad and Elena. "Stand right in there, do't be afraid of the ball!" *thud* Dang! "Ey dylan youre good, bro! Keep going!" i yelled at him. He got hit in head by the ball as soon as he landed at first base. He wasn't out, but when he stepped on the pad, the person holding his previously swung ball tried to hit him. They succeeded. Everyone groaned. "Just shake it off, dylan, shake it off!" and he did. He rubbed his head a bit. Shook his head as if he was trying to mess up his hair, and got ready to run. Dang, this kid's brave. 
Lydia started talking about how it's so hot, and procceeded to RUB RUM ON HER SKIN. Pretty sure thats not how it works, but okay Lydia. "Mami, let's do the wave." Pen stood up, Lydia stood up, Dad stood up. "Nope," I said. I was not about to embarass myself like that. Elen and i shook our heads. Pen and Lydia shook their heads heads at us while saying "Booooo"
"Okay mami, lets eat." Now. i'm a humble woman, but why can't we just buy something from the food stands? They serve nachos. I love nachos. "Okay, the rice and the frijoles are in the pickle jar, and the lechon is in the butter tub. And the cookies are in the cookie tin, but thy are not the same cookies that came with the tin." We all perfectly understood.

A\N i dont know if any of y'all are Mexican or of spanish descent, but if you are. Then dont you hate it when yo go to your grandma's house, and you find a cookie tin, and you get all excited, but it's just sewing supplies??

"Ah, we forgot the napkins." Lydia let out a sigh of expaspertility. "Go grab some from the snack bar. They always make you buy something, so one of you needs to create a distraction." 

Pen clapped her hands together as if she was brilliant. "Elena, do that thing you always do and ask if there's high-fructose corn syrup in the ketch-up. And then when she's boring the guy to death, garb the napkins and run." Elena looked offended. "Or we could just buy something. They have nachos!!!" I said. I really want nachos. Pen started laughing, talking about how I'm hilarious and then Lydia laughed to. I swear they're like the mean girls from school.

"Ahaha hola senior. Que tal?" Ah yes, dad attempting to speak spanish. I heard him taking spanish classes in his room a few days ago, so I'm excited to hear what this is. "Oye dame unos nachos, un coka de dieta y cinquenta sirvietas por favor." Holy fuck. Elena and I looked at each other. And look at Dad, then looked at each other. Dad just spoke perfect Spanish. I didnt know his Spanish classes were going THAT well. "I blew your mente, right?" Elena and I shook our heads in disbelief. "I've been taking spanish classes on the DL so I can be a more productive member of the family." He turned to Elena,"No offense."

Uh yeah. "Why would I be offended? You're not family?" I giggled a little bit. "You know I hate that joke!"