[chapter twenty one]

[her; Alex Alvarez]

"Hey mom." Alex said while we walked into the living room. "Thank you, Dr. Berkowitz. Thats a good work phone call Thanks. Bye." Lupe said putting her phone down. "What's up?" She continued while acting weird. "I need money." He told her. It wasn't the best way to ask her but thats what he went for. "And I need a margarita, but its 7:00 in the morning." she said as I laughed at her joke. "Mom, please. We are going to a movie." He asked. "Okay, Papito. Here." She handed him a ten dollar bill. Ooooffff. "Oh, maybe I wasn't clear. I'm actually going to a movie in this century. Its in color and everything." He said as I laughed. "A ticket cost $9.50." He added. "And I expect change." I laughed as Elena started talking.

"No, I feel your pain. I never had enough money to go to the movies with my friends." "Or enough friends to go to the movies with friends." Alex responded as I slapped his arm. "Oh, I know, why don't you pluck your one mustache hair, and you can get the kid price." Ok now that's funny. I tried not to laugh but once I looked at Alex I let it out.

"Why don't you pluck your 20 mustache hairs?" He responded. "Jokes on you because each one of these hairs is a blow to the patriarchy." she said sounding kinda lame. "Oh, you win." I said to her. As much as I love Elena that was kinda weird to say.

"Come on, Mom. All my friends get way more cash from their parents. Aaliyah for example." he said. He does know I'm like rich right, there's a difference. "What have I told you about comparing yourself to other people?" Lupe asked him. He explained to her that it was to always do it and make sure we're better. "Thats Abuelita not her." I told him.

"Look, my, uh, clinical hours got all squirrelly." She paused as we looked at her confused. "So, I'm gonna take you guys to the movies and show you how to have fun on a budget." "What? No." He said as I said something completely opposite, "Really? Yay!"

"It'll be great! It'll be like a date with your mom and your best friend." she said going up to Alex. When I heard date and Alex in the same sentence it made me blush. Just the thought of going on a date with him made me all queasy inside. "No! No, no, no. I don't mind going with Aaliyah but with you too. No!" He said looking at me. GREAT! Lupe started kissing Alex and saying, mama mama. I followed them as Elena and I laughed.

Abuelita had walked through the door groaning and holding her arm. We all looked at her. She told us not to worry about her and that she's fine. We asked her what's wrong and Dad explained what happened as he walked through the door. Alex and I say next to her and the couch with me next to her and Alex next to me. She explained that she had to break her fall because some faces are worth protecting. She looked at Alex and I and said, "You two know what I'm talking about." We nodded and laughed.