[chapter thirty]

[her; Alex Alvarez]

Pen told us everything. She told us that her and Abuelita had had an argument about her break-up, and the stress caused her to have a stroke. She had surgery in the morning. We all walked into the hallway in front of Abuelitas hospital room, Pen coming out. I was holding Alex's hand tight. Trying not to cry.

Tears are the peepee of the face

Abuelita said that a while ago. It was funny in the moment, but now it's not. It hurts, and those words were spoken to make Alex and I laugh.

Pen walked up to us,"Hi." She gave Elena a kiss.

"Hey, Pen, I got Lydia's stuff you asked for. Fuzzy Afghan she likes, picture of the pope, picture of a different Pope, picture of your dad, picture of the family, picture of my with the family, picture of me by the waterfall."

"Pretty sure some of those are extra, dad."

"I'm just gonna keep talking, cause I'm not good in crisis situations." I rubbed dads arm. He was taking this the hardest.

"This isnt a crisis. Everybody, the surgery went well. It prevented a stroke, and now shes in what we call a mwdivally-induced coma. We just have to wait for her to wake up."

"Shes gonna wake up, right?" Alex asked.

"Yes, of course. But you know this woman cant be rushed. My wedding started half an hour late because she needed to adjust her tiara. Yes. She wore a tiara to my wedding. She said she wanted to match the little figure of herself on the cake." Elena started crying, and that almost ticked me off like a bomb. I wanted to explode with tears. Abuelita.. was in so much danger. We could have lost her. I squeezed Alex's hand. And he squeezed right back.

"Good vibes only, okay?"

"Good vibes." We all said.

"Yeah, I'm gonna go." He handed the box to Pen. "I'll see you later sweetheart, hold on tight." He said bye to me.

We walked into the room. "Hi, mami. Look who's here!" Pen spoke to Abuelita. We all walked in, starting to set up her beautiful room.

A nurse walked into the room. "What's up." 
"Oh, hi nurse Wally." She turned around a rolled her eyes. It definitely cheered me up a little.