[chapter twenty]

[her; Alex Alvarez]

Alex and I were in his room, finishing up some homework for science. Once we'd finished, we walked out of his room to the living room. A bunch of Elena's friends were here. "Sup." Alex said. I rolled my eyes, my arm intertwined with his. "Hey, guys!" I said.

"Aaliyah, Alex. You are barking up so many wrong trees." She pulled us to face the other way, and walked us into the kitchen.

From the kitchen, I heard Elena begin to yell out commands. "Okay everybody! When we get there, "she" takes her team to the stairs, ze takes their team to the parking lot, and they takes their team to the corner. He, she, they and ze will all meet up at the fair-trade coffee shop between the two starbucks. Got it?" 
I heard a symphony of "got it!"'s and then someone yelled "Lets march!"

Once they all walked out, Abuelita and Pen turned to each other. "She must have practiced that, right?"

Alex and I were on the couch with Abuelita. Alex had his hand over my shoulder, and we were all watching 'Dancing with the Stars'. I was honestly dozing off, but I heard a weak-wristed knock on the door. I got up to open it, and to no surprise, it was Dr. B. I greeted him and let him in. "Hi, lydia. I have a gift for you." We all walked into the kitchen, Alex and I were on the side, abuelita was at the center, and Dr. B was on the other side of the island. he pulled something out from behind his back, revealing a long arm stick thingy. Abuelita was amazed. "Magnificient."

"Wow, so when Aaliyah and I get older, will we be easily amazed, too?" 

"Haha yeah, 'woah, a treadmile!'" Alex jokingly slapped my arm, laughing. "Hush, hush. Leslie has been so helpful!" She hugged Dr. B and walked out of the kitchen. "That's true," I said, while Alex picked up the grabby thing. He continued,"Now Abuelita wont need to you to come over and get jars down from the top shelf." "Nice going, doc." Dr. B took the grabby thing out of Alex's hands, and broke it. Alex and Dr. B firstbumped, and we walked over to the counter because we heard the door open. Elena horribly flirted with Dani. Horribly. They all walked out, and Dr. B started talking,"What a nice group of... human people friends. You're grandma told me about the pronoun thing, now I'm terrified to speak." I laughed.

"Why are you smiling?"

Lydia laughed,"I think somebody has a crush.. on 'her'." "Dani? No I dont, I dont even know her! You have a crush on her!" I laughed, grabbing a hold of Alex's hand. We knew what was about to happen. "Nonono, when it comes to detecting romance, I am like cousin orencio, at the beach with his metal detector." I stole Elena's line, walking into the living room, Alex staying behind to grab juice. "So you found nothing, and you're sweating through your shirt?" I walked over, sitting down on the couch next to Lydia.