Chapter 12

Steve's POV

It was dark. It always was. But something about this seemed different. I could feel the cold virus spreading from my stomach outwards. My legs started twitching and then my whole body was. My heart beat started to speed up to an unhealthy beat. I could feel my breathing giving up. Not
now. Please, not now. I begged with myself. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder shaking me. There was a scream and I felt my body relax. But that wasn't a good sign.

~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up to the sound of machines deeping. So evidently Bruce had found me. I looked around the room and no one was there. I sighed inwardly and shut my eyes. Some people counted sheep when they tried to sleep. I, on the other hand, counted my days left. Six. Of course I didn't get far.

The sound of a door opening made me open my eyes. Natasha was standing there, tear stains on her cheeks. My guilt started to flow back in. Why did I have to hurt every single time? Natasha garbbed a chair and sat down, "Here we are again." She said shaking her head. I smiled at her sadly and sat up. I could feel Natasha's eyes on my every move. Surely I didn't look that weak.

"I'm sorry." I said after a long silence that had flourished in the room. Natasha nodded but didn't answer, her face still displayed anger from earlier. But there was also a hint of forgiveness.

"I know it's hard for you to let go of everything I've done to you. But I want you to know I'm grateful for you friendship." I said lying back down.

I closed my eyes and felt sleep wash over me. But just before I drifted completely I heard a soft whisper from Natasha. It sounded like 'I love you' but I couldn't quite make it out.

~~~~~~~~~

That night I dreamed of my life back when it all began. I had never in my wildest dreams thought it would come to this. It was a strange thought to dwell on but it felt right. I thought back to when I first realized I was about to make history. To when I proved to myself I had. My name in a museum was a good place to start. Although I'd been through as much pain as possible, I'd had a life full of opportunities to help. And to my own relief I'd taken them. That was enough to make me feel better. For now anyway.

So this is kinda a short chapter but there's many reasons why. I'm very busy with school so I haven't all the time in the world. Being ill certainly doesn't help either. But I'll try my best to write better and longer chapters in the future.

Thanks for all your love and support!

~swiftie82