00:09

india jalyse

it was yet another easy day for me, but it was to be expected for a friday morning. i was finished by noon, but i didn't wanna leave just yet. i walked back to the front desk to see winnie packing up to take her lunch break. i called her name as she reached for her purse. "winnie, do you wanna go grab lunch with me?" i adjusted my bag on my arm. she stopped and looked up at me.

"are you for real?"

"of course, let's go to olive garden. i'm paying." i smiled. winnie stood up from her chair and met me at the door. we walked side by side to my car. i unlocked it and we both got in.

"thank you, india. i would've just been fine with a muffin basket." she laughed.

i started the car and backed out of my parking spot. "i'm not a muffin basket type of person anyway. i prefer edible arrangements. but don't even worry about it. it's the least i could do."

we talked about things we see at the hospital while i drove. the conversation was small, but it was comforting. the weeknd played lowly in the background while she talked about the rude visitors she gets everyday. i pulled into the olive garden parking lot. we both got out of the car and walked into the restaurant. it was relatively empty for lunch time. we were seated immediately. a waiter came by and took our drink orders before leaving us to talk amongst ourselves.

"so, anything new with roddy?" the second she said his name, i started smiling. jesus, i feel like a little kid. i sat up straighter in my seat.

"nothing much. we fell asleep on facetime last night though. it was nice."

"i will never understand why people do that, my daughter does it all the time and i think it's so weird."

i laughed a little too loud when she said that. it felt so childish, but it was so comforting with the right person. you ask anyone why they fall asleep on facetime and they'll each give you a different reason. i was never the type to do that in high school, so i guess i'm making up for it in my twenties. before i could respond, the waiter came back with our drinks. i opened my straw and stuck it in my drink while winnie ordered her food. i told the waiter my order and handed her my menu.

"but enough about me. how have you been, winnie?" she was always the type of person to listen to all of my problems, but never speak on her own. you have to force it out of her, she's not going to willingly tell you like i would. she hesitated for a moment, but she finally gave in. she relaxed her shoulders and sat up a bit straighter.

"ugh, don't even get me started! my oldest son, derek is getting married and he has a baby on the way!"

"oh my gosh, that's amazing! is this your first grandchild?"

"it would be even better if i actually liked the mother of his child. i can't stand the girl, and i'm not even trying to sound like a bitter mother in law. she's disrespectful to everyone around her and i don't want her carrying my first grandbaby."

"have you tried to sit down and talk with her? like come to an understanding as to why she is the way that she is?"

winnie stopped to sip her drink, but you could tell she was thinking about more than the lemonade in her hand. she placed her glass back on the coaster. it made me look down and realize my drink wasn't on its coaster. i didn't move it, though. who even really uses the coasters at olive garden? "well, i know that her parents aren't around like that. they're not supportive of anything she does. i guess that's why she's as rude as she is." winnie started to realize. i nodded as she talked. talking to winnie made me miss my own mom. i decided i was gonna go visit her after lunch was over.