News

Mackenna

It feels like I sleep forever. Stuck in an endless nightmare that I can't wait to get out of. Loki slips in and out of my slumber. I can start to hear voices. Many of them. But only one drags me to consciousness. I hear Loki. My yearning to see him, brings me out of my nightmare. My eyes snap open. I desperately look for Loki. There are too many people standing in front of my bed.
How did I get here? There is tubes everywhere. I sit up.
"Loki?" I say, my voice scratchy. I search the room beyond the doctors and nurses.
"Mackenna?" I hear him.
"Loki!" I yell with joy. I push all the blankets away, trying to get to him. The doctors push me down. I give them a puzzled look.
"Mackenna. We need you to understand this. You have to be strong." One of the buses tells me.
"What's wrong with me?" I ask. There is only one way that they would have told me that.
"We had to amputate your left leg from the knee down."The nurse explains. I hear Loki yell. My vision starts spinning. I hear nothing anymore. I can see the doctors hold back Loki. I can see that he is screaming. He's struggling against the doctors. Another nurse runs in with a tiny bottle in her hand. She connects it to the tube that is running into his arm. The little bottle drains. Loki's energy drains, and he flops onto his bed. His eyes closed; sleeping.
"Loki!" I scream. I pull against all the tubes on me. I have to get to him. The doctors are to late. I fall to the ground. I see my amputated leg. I feel useless. Tears fill my eyes. I drag myself towards Loki. The tubes detaching from me. I use my good leg to push my body forward. The doctors are finally starting to reach me. I push them away.
"Let me be with Loki." I hiss through my teeth. My hand has a pool of blood on it from where the I.V came out of. The doctor rushes to me and lifts me up. He picks me up and puts me on my bed. I'm struggling against him. He wraps my hand.
"I guess you won't be needing that anymore. It will get in your way. Mackenna, we will let you rest for today and tomorrow, then we will begin the training with your new leg. They all leave. I look at my leg. It's wrapped in bandages. I heave myself up. I try to get to Loki, but I fall half way there. I scrape my cheek. I tug myself again. I reach his bead. I use my good leg to hoist myself up. I get in his bed. His body lolls when I put my weight on it. By the time I get settled I'm exhausted. I put his arm around me. It feels like the first time I slept with him. Only this time, there are no lilacs. He smells like hospital. Soon I fall asleep by his side.