It's not a Farewell

"Can I talk to you ?" She said with a trembling voice.

"I'll let you two alone." Serv said. He walked inside the house and Becca sat on the bench besides the court.
I wiped the drops of sweat from my forehead with the towel and walked towards her. She looked sad, like she was about to..cry ?
Oh boy ! What's going on ?

"What's up ?" I said as I sat next to her putting the towel on my shoulders. She didn't speak right away which makes me uncomfortable. I didn't know what to do or to say.. I'm so bad when it comes to comforting people.

"I-" she sighed. "I received a mail from my school.. and I have to leave earlier because I have a few formalities to take care of there..."

"Oh..uh ok." I swallowed. "When do you have to leave ?"

"My flight is in a couple of hours."

"Oh.. already."I said looking at her as she looked down. "It's ok !" I said smiling, trying to lighting up the mood. She looked back at me. "I mean it's sad, really sad but like I told you we're juste gonna be apart for a time, I'll come see you whenever I could a-"

"NO" she shouted cutting me off. Leaving me shocked at the tone she used.

"What do you mean « No » ?" I said feeling my heart beating fast because I was afraid of what I might hear next.

"Listen Madi" she said taking my hands in hers." I-I don't think that this, us, will work. We'll barely have time to see each other." I removed my hands from hers.

"I-I-No."

"Come on Madi ! Try to understand." She said trying to take back my hands in hers but I got up before she could do it.

"Understand ? Understand what ? That it was what you wanted ?" I angrily said.

"Wha-" Becca tried to talk back but I cut her off before.

"You know I should have seen that coming. Since I announced to you that I was turning pro you weren't happy ! " I shouted.

"Of course I wasn't ! Because of that ! The distance Madi ! Because I wanted to be with you." She shouted back getting up as well.

"So why.. why didn't you break up with me back then if you knew how it would end ?!"

"I didn't know.." she said softly and I laughed nervously. " I swear I didn't know ! I also thought that we could make it work. Maybe we could but will we be happy ? Is that what you want ? A life where we just talk over a phone, where we always worry about what the other is doing, with who ? Because I don't, I can't do that."

"Wait ! Don't you trust me ?"

"What ?" She sighed.

"You said something about worrying about what the other is doing. Don't you trust me ?" As I said that I saw her thinking.

"I'm sorry but no.." As she said that I felt pain in my heart. She doesn't trust me ? Why doesn't she trust me ?
I sat back on the bench, speechless.

"But why ?" I asked her sincerely.

"The sweater." I threw her a questioning look. "It's not really the sweater it's.. "

—————————FLASHBACK————————

BECCA POV:

I was in Madi's room while she was in the bathroom.
I was freezing so I decided to look in her closet for a sweater. I saw one who was in the back, I took it and put it on. I looked at myself in the mirror and wondered why this sweater was on the back of the closet because it was really pretty and it smelled good.
I need to ask Madi what liquid detergent Christen use for their laundry.
I was laying on the bed, scrolling on my phone when Madi's phone rang. Curiosity took the better of me as I wondered who could be calling her right now. I took her phone and saw that there was a missed called and a message from Kristie.
Why is Kristie calling her ? I mean from what I know it's been a couple of weeks since they argued.. unless Madi started talking to her again without telling me.
I decided to listen to the vocal message that Kristie left.