18th birthday

"What do you want for your birthday ?" Mom asked me on the way back from the airport where we dropped Mal off.

"Nothing big, just spending the day with you will be fine." I said to her.

"Hey, what's up with you ? You seem a bit off. It's your birthday you should be excited." I sighed before answering cause I didn't really know what to say. So much was going on inside my head at that moment and I didn't really know how to express it.

"I... I never really liked to celebrate my birthday, you know. It has always been a day like another for me. But back then, when I was at my foster home, Lydia..." I took a deep breath cause it always was hard to talk about her. "She knew that I didn't like to celebrate it, but she always managed to make this day special for me. We spent the whole day just me and her, without any other kids, and sometimes we ate ice cream, sometimes we played soccer...She was the closest thing I had to a family, now that she's gone and I have to spend that day for the first time in a long time without her. Plus, I'm eighteen, which means I'm like...on my own now."

"What are you talking about ? I'm here you know that, I'm not going anywhere, never."

"I know that, but... I know it's kind of dumb to think like that, but legally we're nothing to each other. I know that you're my family cause every time I'm with you I feel safe and loved but I don't know..." She put one of her hand on my thighs while the other held the steering wheel.

"We're not nothing ok ? You're my daughter and I love you. We're family Madi, just because you don't have my last name yet doesn't mean you're not a Press."

"What do you mean yet ?" I asked and she smiled without taking her eyes off the road.

"I wanted to surprise you with this later, but now that we're talking about it...I spoke with Tobin and we decided to adopt you. I already started the process of adoption a few months ago, it's only a matter of time before I know if it's accepted." As she said that, I was shocked, I couldn't believe it. Does this mean that I'm finally gonna have a family ? "Say something..." she said and I could hear her voice shaking a little.

"I...I- thank you, I don't know what to say, I-I-I love you so much." I said with a trembling voice.

"Anything for you sweetheart." At this point we were both two crying messes, but I was the happiest girl in the world right now.

"I-I need to call Alex, to tell her, and to thank her."

"Why don't you thank her right now." Mom said pointing at Alex sitting in front of our house waiting for us.

"What is she doing here ?"

"It's your birthday, do you really think she was going to miss that ?" She said and I got out quickly of the car.

"Alex !" I shouted as I ran towards her, and wrapped my arms around her neck.

"Happy birthday kiddo !" She said as she wrapped her arms around my waist and lifted me up.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you !"

"You're welcome ?"

"Christen and Tobin are going to adopte me !" I said excited.

"Yeah, I knew that, but what are you thanking me for ?"

"Cause all of that is because of you, if you didn't take care of me when... you know what happened, I wouldn't be here today. I would certainly be out of the system, on my own, with no one, but thanks to you I have a family. I love you Alex !" I said and threw my arms around her a second time.

—————

"Ok, so Tobin is going to kill me when she's gonna find out that I didn't wait for her to tell you this." Mom said to me as she brought the popcorn.

"Oh yes she will." Alex added laughing.

"I could always pretend that I didn't know." I proposed.

"Yeah, we could do that, I guess." Mom said.

"Chris, there is no way you could hide this from Tobin !" Alex said as she laid next to me.

"Of course I can." Mom said and me and Alex looked at her and raised our eyebrows.

"I love you, but she's kind of right here." She rolled her eyes and took the remote in her hand to put Netflix on the TV.

"I know I can, but anyway what are we watching ?"

We laughed and watched Netflix all night. Between the night before with Mal and tonight with Mom and Alex, I can say that I had one of the best birthdays ever.

—————

I woke up with Mom and Alex sleeping on either side of me, I got up careful to not wake them up and made my way towards the kitchen. I sat and looked at the photos we took with Mal yesterday, I picked one and decided to post it on Instagram.

INSTAGRAM

Liked by malpugh, christenpress and 66,986 others

@StMads9 Have just spent my 18th birthday with my favorite person in the whole world @malpugh

@malpugh Happy Birthday again, Love uuuuu
|_ @StMads9 Love uuu too

@christenpress I thought I was your favorite person ?
||_@alexmorgan13 I thought I was hers too...
||_ @StMads9 Love uuu both 😬

@emilysonnett HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUPER MADS !!
||_@StMads9 THANK UUU SONNETT

@lindseyhoran10 Happy birthday Madi ! Miss u ❤️
||_@StMads9 Awnnn Miss u too ❤️

@lavellerose Happy birthday from your other favorite person in this world ! I sent you a gift, FaceTime me when you'll open it ! Looooove ❤️
||_@StMads9 Awnn thanks Rosi you didn't have to ! Love uuu❤️