Houston

"So Houston ? You're playing Houston today ?" Jessie asked me while I was about to walk in the locker room.

"Huh...yes, that's why I needed you here today, to support me you know ?" I could see her rolling her eyes, so I sent her a kiss and pushed the door of the locker room.

—————

I was finally ready, mom kissed me on my forehead before leaving the locker room and I followed right behind her. I then lined up in the tunnel with the team. I was focus on my thoughts, till the other team lined up besides us as well, I briefly looked to my right, to see Kristie standing there smiling, her gaze turned at me, and met mine for a couple of seconds.

Oh god it's been a long time....

We made our way towards the field and put ourselves in position. I took the right wing like always and waited for the referee to whistle. After a few seconds, the whistle blew. The game was pretty tied, I made few crosses, but none of them were decisive.

The 60th minute came, and Kristie got fouled. The referee didn't whistle and she wasn't getting up either. Since I was not far from her, I slowly ran towards her and put a hand on her shoulder. I asked her if she was ok, while keeping an eye on the ball.

"My leg..." she groaned. As I saw her in pain, I tried to call out the referee but she was too focused on the principal action to see Kristie laying on the field. Finally, after a few minutes, one of Kristie's teammates saw her and put the ball in touch. I kneeled besides her, and pulled her over a little so she'd lie on her back.

"Hey, it's gonna be ok." I tried to reassure her.

"No, it's not, I felt my knee cracked." She said sobbing, and I felt a bit helpless here. She seemed in a lot of pain, and did something that surprised me, She took my hand in hers and squeezed it. I'm not gonna lie, it hurt a little but it was nothing compared to what she was enduring. After a few minutes, Rachel and the med team came by her side and I took that as my cue to leave.

"Rachel's there, it's gonna be fine, you're a warrior ok ?" I said and was about to let go off of her but she didn't let me.

"Thank you, Madi." She said and I saw tears streaming down her cheeks, so I gently rubbed her cheek with my free hand and smiled at her before  going towards the bench. There I took a sip from my water  and looked at the stands. I saw Jessie smiling at me, I smiled back and waved, then threw the bottle on the floor, before heading back on the field.

The game started again, Houston had the ball and did a good job at keeping it, but at one moment one of her players made a wrong move that permitted mom to take back the ball in the opposing camp, I stood out and ran into the penalty area, where I called for the ball, mom saw me and threw the ball at me. I looked at the ball and hit it with my weakest foot, before she hit the ground, then I looked at it going straight in the left top corner of the goal.

GOAAAAAAL !

I ran towards the corner post and slide on my knee, all the team came and jumped on me. I was so happy to have scored the goal, that had delivered the team from loosing !

—————

"It's time to put some music !!!" I shouted in the locker room as I put some music and started dancing on the bench. I quickly was joining by Julie and the others. I, then, took my phone out and started filming, the team was going crazy and it was making me laugh. I put some videos on my IG story, and started receiving messages from fans who were saying that we were the best team ever. And I mean, I couldn't disagree with that, I love this team with all my heart.

After we all calmed ourselves down and changed, I got out of the locker room and met Rachel on the way out.

"Hey, Rachel !" I called her and she turned towards me.

"Hey, Madison, how are you ?" She said.

"Uhm, fine and you ?"

"I'm a little stressed out for Kristie you know, but otherwise I'm fine." She said and I scratched the back of my head nervously.

"Yeah, that's why I wanted to talk to you, is she all right ?" I asked.

"Hum, no, last news they thought that she had torn her ACL, so..."

"Pretty bad..."

"Yep..."

We stood there awkwardly for a moment before I broke the silence.

"Uhm, okay, so... I'm gonna go but, I know we're not exactly friends, and I could totally understand if you don't want to do that, but could you just let me know how she's doing ?" I said a little scared of her answer. I mean I didn't know how she would react, I literally had feelings for her girl.

"Yeah, for sure." She said and I let out a breath that I didn't know I was containing. This girl was too kind, if I were her I don't think i would've accepted.

"Cool, Thank You , see ya." I said and waved at her.

As I was walking, Jessie joined me.

"So ? Worried about Kristie ?" She asked.

"Kinda, I mean she fell right in front of me, so it'll be rude of me to not ask how she is." I said with a smile.

"Yeah, yeah right. When are you gonna get over her exactly ?"

"Why ? Are you jealous ?"

"No, it's just that-" I stopped and looked at her.

"I am over her ! I really am. I just care about her, and I don't want anything bad happening to her. Trust me, there was a time when I wouldn't even look at her, cause it hurt so much. But now, I don't care, I'm good with my life and all I want for her is to be happy." I said and she slightly smiled.

"You're a good person Madison."

"Ohh, I know that, but thanks." I said smiling back and putting an arm around her shoulders.
—————

We were waiting for my mom in the parking lot and she was taking more time than usual, which was unusual. She's always the one waiting for me usually.
I started to worry and made my way towards the stadium when I saw her coming out of it with Julie by her side, she seemed sad... was she crying ?

"Hey, mom are you okay ?"

"Yes, don't worry, I just need to talk to you about something when we get home." She said with a trembling voice and I nodded, not wanting to add more to her pain.