Comfort

The teams began to play. On my side of the court the playing teams were jozenji against fukorodani. Then in the middle it was karasuno against date tech. And on the other end of the court it was shiratorizawa against aoba johsai. My heart started beating faster.

Oikawa versus ushjima. How interesting.
I told ushjima he would win every game he played. And that's exactly what happened. They crushed aoba johsai... And oikawa looked pretty beat up about it. I kinda felt- almost bad about it.

The coaches announced after every game there would be a ten minute break before rotation. I looked over at ushjima but he was busy still practicing. Even during his break time. I expected as much. I probably shouldn't bother him. I guess I could find that dumbass oikawa.
I looked around the crowd but I couldn't pick out that chocolate hair I loved - nevermind. I'm stupid.

Then I spotted him. Just a glimpse of his jersey walking into the back rooms. I followed. Kind of suspicious to go into the back room of a gym that's not yours. What was he up to? When I peeked Into one of the rooms I saw him sitting in the corner with his knees to his chest. Tears were running down his face. Oh-

I walked over to him slowly as he blankly stared at me. Those joyful eyes and bright smile were gone and my stomach had a pit in it. The room felt like despair and the air became cold. "h- hey oikawa" I did my best to sound comforting. He took his hand and wiped his tears leaving smudges across his face.
"Hey". He sounded indifferent and my sadness only deepened. I took a seat beside him. Dangerously close our shoulders were pressed together. But he was at a moment of weakness and I wanted to show him kindness. He let his legs straighten out and now our thighs were touching. "why are you crying"?

He took a moment before answering. "every single time. I say ive gotten better and this will be the game I win. And every single time ushjiwaka comes in with that stupid fucking stoic manner of his and humiliates me, I'm trying so hard and it's not enough"! He was shaking. The pit in my stomach grew deeper hearing his shaky voice. I've never seen him like this.

I grabbed his hand in both of mine and placed them in my lap. Rubbing his hand. Like my mother use to do to me every night before tucking me in. He layed his head on my shoulder. "Oikawa," I needed to make him feel better. Because this sight of him was something I never wanted to see again. It hurt me.
"Oikawa you are an amazing player. And your dedication is something I admire about you. Even if you didn't win this game. If you don't keep moving forward you will miss your chance. I know you can do it. I believe in you". I didn't realize the tears coming down my own face.

He sat up and wiped my tears with his free hand. Then with the hand I was holding he grabbed my left hand up and kissed it. I blushed but allowed it since we shared a moment of sincerity. "I think you make me feel stronger". Oikawa whispered. The rooms cold air faded and a warm glow came through the window. "you make me feel safer". I whispered back.
I didn't want to admit it but this watch dog attitude of his did make me feel safer being here.

We stared at eachothers eyes for what seemed like an eternity. I could feel my body shifting towards his and our faces grew closer. He moved towards me a little more. I could feel his breath in my face. We sat there with our noses touching. "oik-" he leaned in and I closed my eyes. We kissed. A genuine kiss that wasn't forced or rushed. It was sweet and soft.

It lasted about 3 seconds. And then he pulled back. "I'm sorry". He blushed. "no- it's ok". I blushed back at him. "the break is um almost up we should get out there". He stood up and helped me up. He made his way to the doorway with me behind him and then turned around before walking out. "thank you" he smiled. That joyful cheer was back. And he walked out leaving me in the doorway.

"Thank you" I whispered back to myself. When I walked out back into the gym and over to the bleachers I saw a new team waiting for me to serve.
It was the yellow jersey team. Umm.. oh right. Jozenji.

Up to play on my side of the court was nekoma against fukorodani. In the middle it was shiratorizawa against date tech. And on the far side was aoba johsai against karasuno.

"Hey there pretty little girl" I snapped my neck at the voice. Who was that? I turned to see the number one jersey. It was the captain of this jozenji team. Woah he had a toungue piercing. That was kind of cool. He was sitting on the bench and the rest of his players were smiling at him. Then the comment snapped into my head. "who are you calling little girl"? I said bucking my chest out and crossing my arms. The team mates laughed and he smiled showing off that toungue piercing some more. I couldn't deny he looked cute with it. But I stood my ground.

Do I really have to serve this team. 🙄