Chapter four

Liam

"You smoking again?"Mum snaps.

I hold back my eye roll and remove the cigarette out of my mouth and successfully put it out.

"Not in the house"I say in a gruff tone.

A tone she didn't like at all.

"You might be an adult Liam but don't think I won't kick your ass"

I don't doubt that a bit. Only because she's my mother and I would never put a hand on her, joke or not.

"Sorry mum"I automatically say.

"Now you wanna talk about what got you all gruff"

"Nope"I reply avoiding her eyes.

"Liam-"she starts but I cut her off.

"Nothing is wrong mum."I say softly looking into her eyes.

I get off the wall I'm leaning on and go to her, give her a kiss on the cheeks and walk off.

I am hold my hands up and say I am the biggest mummy's boy to exist. I love my mum. She is my best friend. But there are things you can't tell your mum. Not because it's inappropriate but because I don't understand it myself.

It was my birthday yesterday. I should be happier that I'm a year older. It was great. Mum got everyone to come for my 23rd birthday, this includes my family from redwood pack. I didn't want to make it a big deal but mum thought otherwise. She claimed it is my golden birthday since I was born on the 23rd. Something I didn't know. Until I walked in the house with everyone shouting surprise.

You can't actually surprise a werewolf. It's not a thing. Especially in moonlight pack. And it wasn't because I could smell everyone a mile away but because Bryce is terrible at keeping secrets. Literally patted me on my back the day before and told me not be late for my surprise party. When he realised what he had done, he winced. I didn't hesitate to laugh and call him an idiot. I promised him that I will act surprised for my mum. Thing is I'm the worst actor. Bryce isn't. He literally jumped six foot and acted surprise for me.

It was great to see my friends from redwood. I don't get to see them as much as I want to, especially with the number of rogues increasing making it harder for us to protect our packs and territory. Unfortunately I didn't get to meet Cameron's mate. Things are not going good for my friend. I could see it from his face. I know what went down, know she's not with him no more. Know it hurt my friend. Know it from his frown, his gruff voice and the dark circles around his eyes but he still came to wish me happy birthday. We threw down some drinks and after I got him a bit wasted, he let loose. Lex drove him home after. He made me promised to call and said some other random things I can't remember. All I remember is seeing the pain in his eyes. I don't know this Ry girl, but I hope she returns to my boy.

My mother was amazing but not a miracle maker. Even she couldn't get the one person I want to come. Not that I would ever admit to it.

The party was great until I realised she wasn't coming. And I wasn't going to get my famous birthday present yet another year. And that killed me.

Flashback

10 year old Liam

"Hey Jacobs!"I turned away from my parents putting our weekend bags in the car and face the most beautiful girl I have ever seen.

Not that I would ever admit it to her. She would gut me, snatch my heart and eat it for breakfast.

She was runningtowards me, her brown hair messy in her pigtails. Her hazel eyes glittering beneath the sun. She worn pink jean shorts and hello kitty shirt. Her toes were painted purple. She had mud stains on her clothes, hair and face but she still managed put on her lipgloss.