Chapter twenty

I ran towards my brother's house as soon as I jumped out of the car. I heard Liam call after me but I ignored him. I knew he was right behind me because I could hear him.

When I arrived at his doorstep, I didn't even hesitate to push the door open. It annoyed me that my brother never locked his door, he believes that no one would dare breaking into his house, he claimed that anyone who enters his house that he hadn't welcomed signed their death certificate.

His head snapped towards me . I knew I caught him off guard which meant my brother was out of it because I have managed to catch him off guard and that has never happened before. He could usually see me coming from a mile away.

His jaw was hardened and I knew. I just knew he was trying to hold everything in. His eyes filled with so much emotion, it made my heart ache. I could feel my jaw start to shake as my nose started feeling stingy.

I didn't care then whether our relationship was estranged. I wasn't going to stand here as my brother's life came falling around him so I ran to him and when I reached him, I pulled him down for a hug. He hugged me back, tightly. Then I felt him break.

My brother never cried. I don't even remember the last time I had seen him cry. He got pissed or frustrated and usually would just walk out.

It hurt to see him like this. I didn't blame him. He couldn't put a lid on it, he didn't care who saw him like this and no one was judging him.

He cried on my shoulder and I cried in his chest. I cried for Ryan and I cried for my brother who was about to lose his mate. The person he was destined to be with.

I didn't say anything to him because there was nothing to say. I didn't want to lie to him and tell him everything was going to be just fine when I knew it wasn't going to be. I had no idea what my brother was feeling. I wasn't going to give him lame advice or tell him what Ryan would want him to do mainly because I don't know what Ryan would want him to do but also because that was just a stupid advice.

She wasn't dead yet but from what I have gathered, it wouldn't be long.

I wished I could take the pain from both of them. I didn't like this for my brother and I definitely didn't like this for Ryan who hasn't had the chance to live out a good life. A good life she could have had if she had more time with my brother, my family here in redwood.

--------

Cindy and I walked into the room Ryan was staying in. She looked up at us with her beautiful unusual blue eyes and blinked. It was like she couldn't recognise us for a second.

I almost spun around and took off seeing her like that in the bed. Looking like she did. She was pale, paler than normal. It looked like she shrank. If my heart wasn't broken before it definitely was then. She seemed smaller and she was a small woman to begin with.

If I felt like this, hardly knowing her... how did my brother feel?

I knew Enzo was messed up. He has been on his laptop for hours trying to find something, anything to fix this. To ensure that she didn't die but we all knew he couldn't and wouldn't find anything. It was very unlikely that you wouldn't die from a werewolf scratch, it's not impossible but again it's rare. Almost unheard of.

"Hey guys"she croaked out, her voice sounding weak and raspy.

"Hi"Cindy greeted with a big smile.

She was so cheerful and not acting like someone should when someone they knew was in there deathbed.

Ryan gave her grateful smile. I guess she was tired of everyone giving her the 'I'm sorry this is happening to you or you don't deserve this' speech. I decided then and there that I wasn't going to give her any of those speeches. I wasn't going to pretend that nothing was happening either.