Acceptance

Based on Hermitcraft: Origins by _adrilia_. May contain plot points that go against the fanfic's cannon. Go read it yourself. It's really good.
________________________________________

Word Count: 2108

Grian smiled as he watched the small, purple flame flicker in the palms of his hands that he had cupped so delicately to keep it alive. It was past midnight, and the only things keeping him company were the faint sounds of the river flowing nearby and the sunflowers he managed to find solace in, even though there wasn't a ray of sunlight to awaken the towering plants.

He was wide awake, when the world was still asleep, so he decided to take a moment to collect all of his thoughts, while he still had the chance.

A few days had passed since he had opened up to someone else about everything that happened, to him, to his world, and to everyone in it.

About the torment, the fear, the insecurities. He finally had an outlet to safely drain out the thoughts he had bottled up so desperately. Grian had found someone he could trust

He remembered with fondness how Mumbo simply looked at him with a gentle gaze, nodding as though he could understand the words that fell out of the other's mouth. While the confusion was clear in his eyes, so was the understanding.

The wordless affirmations and reassurance he gave the smaller hermit were so genuine, so real, and Grian couldn't help but feel immensely grateful.

He had suddenly found a place where he didn't need to feel so alone. And he could finally breathe, without the immense guilt constricting his throat. A heavy burden that Grian struggled so hard to carry alone, was suddenly lifted so effortlessly by his best friend.

However, it wasn't just the burden, either. Mumbo had helped him with something else, too. Something that he didn't realise he needed help to begin with, because it was something he didn't want to ever acknowledge.

It was something he didn't ever want accept.

"So, I was thinking..." Mumbo began, before trailing off immediately, like he wasn't sure where he was going with the conversation.

Grian hummed in response, letting the other know that he had been heard. Thinking was a normal thing to do, Grian smiled as he began his thought. He was seated on his makeshift swing, flailing his legs back and forth as it rocked him in the way that swings normally do.

Mumbo sighed as he began to push the smaller hermit, much to the other's glee. "Um... why have you never used your powers? From what I've gathered, it's the most... powerful form of magic? It could be useful" It had only been a day or two since he noticed the diamonds in his eyes, since they talked about Evo, and yet, his curiosity overpowered his rationality. He had a feeling that there was more to the sandy haired builder and his motives than what meets the eye.

Grian tensed a little, trying his best to process the question that should have an easy answer. Except, it didn't, and that took the hermit by surprise.

He stayed silent, trying to put his feelings into words. The magic pulsating through his veins was the same as the one that tormented his people. The sparks that formed on his fingertips were the last he ever saw of his beloved world. However, there were two main feelings, that Grian could identify.

Guilt, and fear.

And the deadly combination manifested into something far greater, a feeling that he doesn't know how to explain.

"Because it's evil" Grian said finally, before his thoughts all spiralled out of control. That was the easiest way for him to word it.

"What?" Mumbo glanced over, a little bit confused, but still glad for the response.