Broken Promises

This is my take on the Watcher!Grian AU. I'm trying my best to be unique, and I liked this so much I think I'll make a separate book and storyline about this.

TW; Abuse

I'm so sorry, Grian
_

________________________________________

Word count: 2711

Grian sat down on the cold, obsidian floor, staring out into the endless void. It blended in with the dark, purple hues of the obsidian so well that you would fall into it if you weren't careful.

Grian didn't need to be careful. He knew this place like the back of his hand, having traversed these precarious paths so many times before that the dangers of falling became nothing but background noise. Something as insignificant as walking on his own two feet. It was second nature.

He had been trapped here for what could have been months. However, it felt like years. He could no longer tell the passage of time, and for good reason, too. Reality itself could be bent by the powers of the creature that resided in this structure, so manipulating time was but a trivial task.

It had everything at the tips of its fingers. It could snap its fingers and the air would manifest into whatever ot is that it desires.

And yet, it was so keen on making Grian's life as miserable as possible.

He clenched his hand into a fist as he stared even deeper into the void, his legs hanging off of the edge as he silently asked the universe just what he had done to deserve this.

Was it all the pranks? Did he really make so many enemies? Did so many people hate him collectively to have had him punished in such a horrible way?

He didn't have an answer. Nothing would give him an answer. However, he knew very well what this was that he wanted to achieve.

He wanted to stay here, in this God awful place so that his friends wouldn't have to suffer any longer. He had made a deal with the devil, his life for the lives of others. And as far as he was concerned, the Watchers hadn't returned to his world since his arrival.

That was all he wanted. Their safety. Was it really so much to ask for?

Grian shook his head. Of course it wasn't. One's own safety was something you are entitled to as a living being. No one deserved to feel in danger, and he knew this well.

The universe was just being selfish.

Yet, he couldn't shake of the feeling that he was at fault. His experience here couldn't possibly be a trial. It was a punishment. It had to have been. He needed to stop complaining. The universe knew better than he did, and it worked in the most mysterious ways.

Things always work out in the end.

Right?

Footsteps echoed loudly behind him, the sound becoming louder and louder with every single step. He didn't need to turn around to know what it was and why it was there.

"Master demands your presence"

There wasn't a single hitch in the sentence. The words were said in a formal and stoic manner. In such a way that felt so devoid of life.

Grian turned around and stared blankly at the husk behind him. It looked dishevelled, limbs twisted awkwardly in a way that had to have been broken. There were strings attached to its body, forcing it to move in a way that it actively tried to reject. However, the life had long left its body. All that was left behind, was the watcher's puppet. A toy, if you will.