Sunshine

You remember that one drabble where Grian murders a parrot because he gets entranced by its wings? This could totally be a chapter in that book. It sucks that I don't have a coherent plot.

Also, I said I would use different hermits, but Grian was way too perfect for this prompt. Why must he suffer at my hands? ;-;

TW: Depression, implications of suicide.
_________________________________________

Theme - Sunshine
Word count: 1614

There was just something so captivating about him.

Maybe it was the way the light hit his sandy blonde hair, allowing it to glow with a golden hue. Or maybe it was his bright appearance, his bubbly personality. True to his name, Grian was a ray of sunshine in the lives of the hermits. His outlandish pranks and pleasant personality made the whole world seem that little bit less bleak. He brought a certain warmth to the server that couldn't quite be explained.

The days felt sunny, even when it was not. Grian always kept the server busy, and his neighbours on their toes. The summer days would never end, as long as he was there to bring about the fun and games.

One day, however, winter came. Though, there wasn't a single speck of snow on the ground, or even the slightest change in temperature. Heck, it could may as well been the middle of June. The only difference was that the ray of sunshine had lost its warmth. Grian seemed a little bit more grim. The world felt a little bit more bleak.

Mumbo was the first to notice the disturbance in the universe. It felt like a disturbance in the universe. What else could it possibly be? It came to him as a sensation he couldn't quite explain, one that tugged at every one of his heartstrings. Every part if him screamed that something wasn't right, but he brushed it off. At least for now. There was no way to explain how he was no longer smiling as wide or laughing as loud. The pleasure of pestering Iskall and wreaking server wide havoc had completely gone dry. He had an itching feeling that something was lacking. Maybe it was the stark lack of chickens, laughter and a sandy blonde hermit.

Scar had just returned to his starter base after a few days of working on the big dig. His village was still flowing with magic and flourishing as it's own functional system. Soft murmurs filled the air as conversations took place around him. He couldn't have been more proud of his work. However, despite all of the life that surrounded him, the world still felt grey. Dead. Diseased. He stared silently at the door that led to his starter base, fitted perfectly into Larry's shell. A little too perfectly. He wasn't used to seeing it there. Completely untouched for an indiscreet number of days. Was the gremlin up to something? Or was something seriously, seriously wrong?

Iskall looked at their omega tree with fondness. Progress was going so well for them, and their base was looking omega. Their admiration then suddenly turned into a slight grimace. The leaves were grown and trimmed perfectly in accordance to Grian's advice. Everything looked just that little bit better after he had gotten involved. Even the leaves themselves had arrived one day, carried by a pesky little bird. They had a good laugh and got one heck of a bargain. It had been a while since they had gone and said hi, with the industrial district taking up most of their time and the mayoral campaign picking up its pace. When was the last time they had seen their friend?

Xisuma was pacing around his base. And he did so over, and over, and over again. Something didn't feel right. He had far too much free time. The server was in check, and he had finished all of the projects that he had planned out for the forseeable future. The leap into a whole new era went far too smoothly. The server was coping with the new nether just fine. Everything was going far too well, and that left him a lot of time for some unnerving anxiety. Mumbo wasn't breaking the server, False's campaign was no longer terrorising the hermits, the dogs were all in check, and Etho's shady business was being looked into. Everything felt perfect. The only thing that felt wrong was the complete lack of Grian's presence.