Alone

Sorry for the particularly short Drabble. Decided to take a break from writing by writing, and I ended up liking the end result.
_________________________________________

Word Count: 490

❝ Alone. Alone feels nice, right? It does, until everyone forgets you. Then you’re lonely. When you’re lonely, you make bad decisions. ❞

Thanking BirdLover345
for the prompt
.
.
.

The void was dark, with only the small and twinkling stars to keep company. This place was almost like outer space, being suspended in the air that was hard to breathe.

EX was a loner. At least, that was what he had thought. He enjoyed having nothing for company, and hiding away from the outside world. He had long convinced himself that he was an outlier, and quite enjoyed the life that had been chosen for him; burrowing away and hiding in caves. Stirring conflicts with others the moment he got the chance.

He had convinced himself that he enjoyed the lonely life. He had convinced the others that he enjoyed the lonely life. It was a part of the reason why he was even here to begin with. Trapped in the void, with no viable escape. Even his lungs were starting to give up on him, much like his brother already had.

He wanted to scowl at the thought, but he didn't have the energy to do so anymore. He was tired of waiting for a chance to make it better. He was tired of waiting for any signs of life to make it into this God forsaken place.

He was tired of waiting for his brother.

The end was dark, and cold, and so painfully lonely. Time passed him by at a snail's pace. His body had weakened, his limbs were frail. He hadn't moved in what felt like years. Had it been years? It was impossible to tell.

He was starting to hear voices in his head, gently coaxing him to retire from this fight. An offer so tempting, he nearly succumbed to their demands on multiple occasions. The only thing stopping him from letting go was hope; hope that there was a second chance around the bend. An opportunity for redemption. A page or two for him to be a part of.

But every time he held on, he was only met with disappointment. There was nothing for him now. And even as months passed underneath his feet, and the planets revolved around the sun, acceptance was something he simply couldn't find. Surely there was something that he could do. Something to make it better. Something to make it hurt less.

But the hope he held onto was as empty as the void. There was nothing stopping him from letting go.

So, he closed his eyes for one last time, and sank further and further into the darkness. His only regret was never having gotten the chance to say goodbye.

There was no closure for the forsaken.

But he swore that he could hear his brother calling out his name, right before the whole world went still, and his blood ran cold. The end was devoid of life once more.