The Button

Takes place in season 7
_________________________________________

Word count: 1476

Mumbo was honestly dumbfounded.

It wasn't uncommon for him to not be able to follow the events taking place on the server. It was almost always so crazy, and it would drive him mad just to try and keep up with everything while he was working on his own projects.

It turns out, however, that he was struggling to keep up with the results his own project as well.

The button was meant to be a fun, non consequential game taking place throughout the server. There was no real way to win, and the only thing you could possibly get for saving the button's life at a dire time was some bragging rights.

He could have guessed that there would be disputes between hermits as to who would get a higher score or annoy one another by sniping the button from right under someone else's nose, and he could have guessed that there would be lots of opportunities to prank and sabotage one another. He'd even joked openly about the button causing a second civil war on the server.

This, however, was insanity.

And like everything else that happened on the server, he was struggling to keep up. It seemed like everyone was taking this game a little bit too seriously.

Mumbo felt bad that the hermits weren't actually winning anything, but at this point in time, he didn't have the diamonds to fund a prize. Heck, he was so poor that he had to resort to selling parts of his skin for some cash.

Thinking about it now, however, it might be better if he didn't encourage the behaviour with a prize. Who knows what would go wrong if the stakes were higher?

Now, he was travelling through the nether, with grandpa jeans pulled all the way up to his chest, on account of Iskall's dry sense of humour, and a bald spot on the back of his head shaved in the shape of his moustache, due to Grian's desperation for his moustache.

Even Tango got involved and spent a whole stack of diamonds just to shave the hermit's face. Now Mumbo's true face was exposed, and without his iconic facial hair to hide the truth, he hoped to God that he wouldn't run into any of his friends. He earned a stack and a half of diamonds overnight, but had now lost all of his dignity.

Being the spoon that he was, he didn't think ahead and set a time perimeter for how long this new look would last. What if he was stuck this way for the entire season?

Mumbo stepped out of his own thoughts and looked into the distance, staring at the button. The machine looked tall and intimidating in the red, misty atmosphere of the Nether. It had an eerie vibe to it, considering how calm and empty the space seemed, in contrast to the usual happenings by the button. This was a sight he could get used to.

He couldn't help but sigh heavily, trying to remember everything that he had overheard about the insanity that took place in the space infront of the machine that, as of right now, was so calm nobody would have guessed that it had been crawling with Hermits just hours prior.

As it stood right now, the space was mostly empty, except for the giant throne Doc had built for himself and the glass that encased a part of the area.

Apparently, a certain janitor had shown up at the scene and cleaned up the mess of makeshift rollercoasters and junk that was scattered throughout the area.

No one had paid much attention to him since he was keeping to himself. And then, when everyone least expected it, janitor Grian pressed the button and flew away, leaving the group with a clean, empty space, lots of laughter and a dumbfounded Doc who had just wasted the last few hours of his life. Hours that he would never get back.