Chapter 6

Both Eidos and Karen had a quiet understanding between them. They never pressed each other to tell them about their past, nor did they ask. Even though they both knew very little about each other, they still trusted each other with their life.

A sickness had overcome the capital city of Genyl. No one knew how to heal the people affected and they didn't even try as it was very contagious, resulting in a lot of deaths. Eidos approached the city, in hopes that he could heal the people and rid the city of its illness. He was fully depending on Hestia's blessing.

Once he arrived, the condition of the people almost broke his heart. Rows and rows of people lying on blankets and if they were lucky enough, beds. Some coughing, shivering and some even on edge of death, their eyelids fluttering.

He immediately rushed to the side the closest patient, a frail woman, who looked as pale as a sheet and was coughing deep, throaty coughs. Striped of all softness, she was just skin and bones, looking much smaller than she should look.
"Miss, I need you to close you eyes." He grasped her hands. "I am going to try to heal you." He whispered to her. She did as asked and closed her eyes, tightening her hand as much as she could.

He gently touched her forehead and willed her to heal herself. He provided the energy she required to do so, so that she would not combust. He was successful and felt the amount of energy he loss, trickling from him, to her. But for him, it was a minuscule  amount.

She immediately open her eyes, now brightened, the layer of sickness gone, "Thank you, Lord!"
"Please do not call me Lord. I am Eidos." He said, flustered. He then told the rest of the people in the hospital to close their eyes. It was easier if they relaxed. He then released a steady stream of energy which was used to heal them and eliminate the plague. He immediately slumped forward, too exhausted to notice that the people were cheering him and thanking him.

He did not want to be groveled at, so he panicked, and shadow-traveled back to Karen with his remaining energy and passed out immediately, startling her.

Karen was confused. First her brother goes to a contaminated place paying no heed  to her various warnings, then a weird orange explosion took place and then he comes here and passes out? She decided that she would squeeze an explanation out of him once he woke up.

Since she had nothing else to do, she decided to go to the place where her brother worked so that she could earn a bit more. Eidos worked at a bakery café. She was surprised when he told her so. He could be a doctor, or work in the cargo transport, with his immense strength, but he wanted to work at a bakery. 
"It makes me happy," He said, "The smiles you get when someone eats what you have made and they like it." With a pause, he added, "It also reminds me of my mother. She was a great cook."

He usually made a lot of bread, gave half of it to the bakery and gave the other half to all the homeless children or elderly. He also helped all the homeless men and women to find jobs to support their families. Bethel, the woman who ran the café,  didn't mind, because Eidos had helped the old lady before and he also provide very good backed goods. Not to mention that the old lady was very fond of him.

Karen usually helped Eidos give bread away but she sometimes helped at the café as well. She walked down to street only to be greeted with the usual sweet aroma of bread and cake. She stopped by to greet Bethel, giving her a gentle hug.

Bethel was a stout woman who was very strict but caring. She was very fond of both Eidos and Ren, as she affectionately called her.
"Ren, darling, thank god you're here. Wendel got hurt, again, and went home so we have one waiter less. Could you please fill in?" She said, frantic.
"'Course, Bethel." She answered and tried a spare apron around he waist. "What table?"
"Number 4. Oh, and darling? Thanks"
"No problem." She smiled and headed to table number 4. She took their order, a couple with green skin, probably from Zold, here to tour.

Bethel's café and bakery was very simple. One half was a bakery and the other half- a café with 10 tables. Almost all of the people who worked here were former homeless people, whom Bethel, after much conviction, gave them jobs.

Wendel was one of them, and unfortunately, he was very clumsy and often Karen had to work in his place. But he was very sweet about it. She worked for about an hour before deciding to check on Eidos.

As expected Eidos was awake and a bit weak, but that didn't stop him from hugging the crap out of her.
"I was so worried, where were you?" Eidos cried, relief spreading through him.
"Bethel's. Wendel hurt himself again." She said and heard her brother sigh in relief. "Now tell why you were half dead when you came back." She stated, more like ordering him than asking. 

"Oh! So it was you!" She exclaimed, smacking her forehead. "Everyone's been talking about a mysterious hooded man, who saved Genyl. I thought it suspicious.." She trailed off. "Now it makes sense." She laughed at her brother's groan. He hated being in the limelight.
Well, too bad for him. 

~(Edited)~