Chapter 44

Xavier and Cora quickly rushed towards the fallen commander. They both cursed themselves for this ignorance. They should have known that it would weaken him.

Not only did their friend use almost all of his energy but even after that, he exerted himself more when he created the shield to protect them from the deathly blow they would have gotten from Tartarus, if it weren't for him.

Sometimes Eidos could be too kind. He could have just used more energy from the campers and kept himself from weakening or he could have just let them deal with the shield. But no, he almost killed himself trying to protect a planet and people who cursed him. 

They were going to make sure that the demigods and gods properly apologized to him when he revealed his identity, but now was not the time. 

They quickly moved, calling the medics and force-feeding him ambrosia. It definitely must have worked, because the hooded figure gave a small squeeze to Luke's hand as he panicked. It figured that even when unconscious, Eidos would care for his friends first.

Zoe wanted nothing else than to remove his hood and see his bright eyes and tousled hair. She just wanted proof to her eyes that he was there and alive. It had been so long since they actually saw each other rather than the linings of their hoods, but it wasn't the time.

They were sure their commander would recover, but to be back at his full strength it would take time. While Eidos was resting, the mood of the campers had turned sour.

They were happy that their efforts were not in vain, but the death toll still had an impact. Many children who lost their siblings or the newer campers were in a state of depress and hysteria, but the immortal campers were trying their best to calm them down.

Luke had always hated the aftermath of war. as many as he had been to, he still hated to see the people devastated by the losses of their loved ones. It had always been Eidos who woulds go talk to them, comfort them, but it was hard for Luke to do the same.

But since Eidos was resting he knew he had to take the initiative and at least try. He knew his commander would be disappointed if he didn't, so that is exactly what he did.

He moved from group to group, cabin to cabin just talking to people, distracting them from the bloody images in their head. It did work, sometimes where he would get a hug from a little boy or a weak smile from a teen. That was all he needed to know that he did make a difference. A small one, but a difference nevertheless.

***

It had been a few days since Eidos had fallen from the top of the big house. He had broken a few bones from the fall and since his energy was depleted he couldn't even urge himself to heal faster. 

Hestia's blessing did help him though. Within a few days he was back on his feet and was roaming the camp.

The mood of the camp was still a bit sober since they were still grieving, but that didn't stop them from throwing appreciative smiles at him or saying thank you. 

It was a bit embarrassing for Eidos, but he was always embarrassed when the people personally come to thank him. He also wanted to tell then who he was, but he couldn't just find the right time to do it.

He also was very proud of Cora and Luke. The way they had handled everything was flawless. they both a very good job, in their own way. Luke had immediately taken position of commander when he was unconscious and had perfectly done the part. 

He had organised the mess of demigods and had also comforted them. He had asked Zoe to take care of their resources and also had organised the fallen demigods funerals as well. In all they had done everything which was required, leaving Eidos to have a nice break.

"Um, excuse me sir?" a tiny little boy came up to him and fidgeted nervously. "Yes, child?" he flashed him a warm smile which could be seen under his hood.

Seeing his smile, the demigod relaxed ever so slightly and spoke up again, "They would like you to come for a campfire tomorrow night to celebrate our victory." he said, slipping a little over his words due to his young age.

"I'll be there." he assured him. Hearing the mans response, the youngling broke into a huge smile, nodded and scurried toward the big house.

Maybe this was where could tell them, he thought as he strolled on the beach, the setting sun on his back.