Chapter 40

Lukes eyes frantically searched for the source of the gut-wrenching scream. Dread filled him as he recognized the tortured voice. 

He paved a way through tens and hundreds of monsters, just to see her body falling to the ground, looking lifeless. His vision tunneled, only focusing on her eyes and nothing else. Her beautiful dark orbs; orbs which pulsed with heart-wrenching pain.

Immediately he let loose a wave of pure energy which immediately killed a whole ring of monsters who were heading towards the fallen warrior. It took a lot out of him, but he did not care, for his love was lying a pool of her own blood.

There lay Zoe, her clothes beneath her armor. Soaking as much blood as possible which was coming from a huge dagger in her gut.

Cradling her head in his lap, he attended to her wounds with his mind in panic and calm hands. As much as he just wanted to scream and cry, he knew he couldn't. He had to focus on her.

He carefully extracted the dagger, making her body jerk and applied slow pressure to stop the bleeding. He then carefully took out some ambrosia, lifted her hood, and fed it to her. Since they had become chaos soldiers, they healed faster, but ambrosia and nectar didn't affect then as much, so it would a while before she was healed.

He then assessed her other numerous wounds. Their were a lot, but it was nothing she couldn't handle, but he still desperately wanted Eidos to come and heal her, but he was fighting his own battles. 

He could see him play a dangerous game with Nyx but also glancing at Cora without getting decapitated. Knowing Eidos, Luke was sure that he desperately wanted to see to her but he could not allow the demigods to fight her.

"Shouldn't you be fighting?" Zoe said weakly, pulling him out of his thoughts. Without him noticing, his hands were alternating between applying pressure to her stab wound and caressing her face and hair. 

She would not admit it, but Cora was loving what Luke was doing. Even though the pressure lessened the throb of pain, she preferred his soft caress. She was surprised by how steady his hands were as he took care of her. 

"You are more important." was his simply reply which made her want to kiss him him right there, battle or not.

"Go, I'll be fine. Help them." she urged, knowing that for every minute they did not fight, a demigod fell.

She could see the hesitation in Lukes blue eyes, but he listened to her, standing protectively over her and destroying monsters coming towards her. She could see that he fought better, faster, stronger than before. 

Her attention was now on healing herself. She refused to be useless like a damsel in distress even though she loved the feeling of security Luke was giving her. Her 'super' healing had already turned the throbbing pain to a dull ache and her bruises and cuts were healing as well, but it did take a toll on her body.

As Luke was trying to keep all the monsters away from Cora, he saw her try to get up. He tried shouting over the chaos of war, for her to lay down, but she chose the ignore his pleas. He saw her stand, and push her way toward him. Her feet were wobbly and mind unfocused but she needed to get to him. He was her strength. He would give her strength.

Once she reached him, she jerked her head toward Eidos, communicating with him without sound. After getting a nod in return,  they stood together, back-to-back, forming a perfect war machine and made their way toward Eidos, intending to end this war, once and for all.