Chapter 16

Eidos was the image of calmness. For someone who was going to a place which gave him nightmares, he was acting as if it were any other mission for them. Cora had to admire his courage. So instead of fretting like Luke, she pushed all her negative feelings and thoughts aside and put up a facade of indifference. She saw Percy give her a small nod, proud. She also hit Luke, getting him to do the same.

Though they were wearing their hoods, anyone smart enough to read body language could figure out their anxiety, though she doubted anyone there would have the brains to notice anything. The only way they would crack their centuries practiced shield was if they had Eidos's intuition, which was equal to saying it was not possible.

Once they were sure their facade won't break, even under their hoods, they waited for another minute to leave. Eidos had developed the habit of being punctual and so he usually had everything done an hour early so that if anything came up, they still won't be late.

That's when her remaining worried evaporated. Eidos was no longer Percy, and she was no longer Zoe and Xavier was no longer Luke.

They were better.

***

Tension was in the air and anxiety was in their minds. All campers and gods were waiting for Chaos's so-called help. Athena, still shaken from her last encounter with Chaos, did her best to make sure everything went smoothly. She made sure no one was late and gave the campers several warnings not to disrespect whomever came. Everyone was in the throne room, waiting with unnerving stillness.

The Olympians were getting impatient, even if there was only a minute left. Finally, a similar vortex like the one the day before opened and they stepped out. To say they were intimidated would be an understatement.

All three of them were wearing cloaks and had their hoods on, carrying a mysteriously dangerous air to them. Though it was hard to tell, they figured two were men and one was a woman. All of them were tall, the tallest reaching well over six feet. They could see that they all had a great physique, the one who came first was exceptionally well-built, with broad shoulders emphasized by the dark cloak he wore.

The tallest guy was in front with the other two stood right behind him. They figured that he was the Commander. All three had black cloaks but what set them apart were the different linings each had. The 'Commander' had sea green linings with hints of orange, the woman had silver and the other man had gold. The edges seemed to glow in the shimmering light, making them look unearthly.

"Greetings," He ducked his head slightly, breaking the heavy silence. "I am Eidos, Commander of the Chaos army." He said in a very deep, yet somewhat melodious voice. He gestured to the man beside him who introduced himself, "I am Xavier, second in command and this," He pointed to the woman beside him, "is Coraline, third in command." She acknowledged his words with a nod, sweeping her eyes over the crowd like Chaos had done. They couldn't see her eyes, but still felt a chill done their spine.

"Welcome, Commander. We would like to formally thank you for lending us your help in our situation." He nodded, lifting a hand for him to continue. "May I ask a question?" Zeus asked shocking everyone with his politeness.
"Go ahead." He said, his voice without an expression.
"Are you the Eidos? Assassinator of assassins, Savior of many, Healer of-" he was cut of by Eidos's "Yes." which was indifferent, yet a bit forceful. Several gasps were heard from the gods at his answer.

Internally, Eidos groaned. He really hated it when anyone used his titles and looked at him as if he were a god. Both Xavier and Cora were laughing at his predicament, but all three, on the outside, looked serene and a bit bored.

The campers were thoroughly confused. Hesitating, Reyna mustered the courage to ask them, "My lord, have you met Commander Eidos before?" Her eyes flicked between the commander and the gods.
"No, but we have heard a great deal of him." Answered Hades when no one answered her.

Before anyone could ask further, a loud boom was heard as the doors of the throne room were pushed open. With heavy dramatic steps, she walked in, staring right at Eidos. He immediately recognized her violet aura and smiled, suddenly happy to be back.
"Demi! It's been a long time, eh sister?" He said, breaking character a stoic and aloof Commander.
"Eidos, how dare you come to Earth and not tell me beforehand!" She exclaimed as she punched him, yelping when her fist connected to his hard stomach. He chuckled, startling the audience, and pulled her close, hugging her with a single hand.

Finally, Eidos decided to introduce her, "This is Demilin., the Gatekeeper of Earth." She sarcastically bowed next to him, smirking.
"Demilin!" Came the outraged whisper from Zeus. "Why aren't you at your post?" He asked her, trying to assert his authority.
"I'll let you know that the only reason I still work here, is because I felt sorry for you lot." She was ruthless and calm, no lie hidden in her words. "I could leave now and let anyone enter Earth, but someone convinced me to stay." She said and shot a meaningful glance at Eidos.
"I don't take orders from anyone except Chaos and Eidos, so you watch your mouth Zeus." The lord of the sky flinched under her cold glare and shut his mouth, speechless.

The council was once again shocked, leaving only silence and an angry Demilin. While Eidos was calming her down, Luke decided to have some fun with the council. It wasn't everyday they got such a chance.

"May I remind you all that you are already on thin ice, and though Eidos is too kind and noble to punish you, we won't hesitate." He threatened them, speaking plainly. Cora was in full agreement, ducking her head as he spoke.
"He's powerful enough to destroy you without even blinking and so are we. So, I hope you cooperate with us, if you want our help, that is," Coraline said scaring the heck out of everyone.

"Calm down now, Cora." Eidos said looking at the terrified faces of the gods. As he looked at them, he noticed the condition of the gods. And boy, was it bad....

Zeus looked as arrogant as ever, and so did Ares, who wore a haughty look. Hera, Aphrodite and Demeter looked indifferent, but their eyes kept flicking here and there, affected by the threat. Hephaestus, Hermes and the wine dude looked attentive for once. Artemis was looking at Cora (smart lady) and Apollo looked distracted. And when he settled on Poseidon, only one word came to mind. Old. He had wrinkles all over and his eyes were a dull green. His hands were shriveled around his trident and he was slumped over his throne.
Meanwhile Hestia and Hades appeared to be worn out and tired, as if every little thing they did drained them.

Eidos felt pity rise up in him after looking at their condition. He sent a wave of hope and warmth to everyone in the room. Immediately, the room was less cold and the children looked relaxed. Everyone looked fresher and better, but Hestia was looking directly at Eidos, seeming to gaze in his eyes though he was sure he had donned his cloak.

He smiled to himself. His objective was completed perfectly. Hestia knew that it was him, Percy, for she had never blessed anyone except him. She looked at him, completely still for a moment and he could almost see her tears forming in her eyes. Time seemed to stand quiet for the goddess of the hearth who'd just been handed a bright ray of hope.

In the chaos of Demi's arrival, no one noticed her hands as they clenched tightly in her lap and her bowed head, shivering and trembling. She blinked furiously, begging the tears to recede. She was happy, so very happy that her little boy was alive and well.

She gathered herself quickly and jerked her head towards Hades, asking him if she could tell him. He gave her a subtle nod, and flashed a quick smile, visible to only her eyes. The happiness on her face lifted his spirit immensely.

Unfortunately, it lasted only a moment.

"Let us guide you to Camp Half-Blood, Commanders."

~(Edited)~