1 - "The beginning of everything"

"It's fucking summer, baby!"

My skin is alive. A constant buzz seems to be inhabiting my body. It's a natural high, too. No recreational drugs have been taken in the process of this. Summer is finally here.

"Get down, Dory!"

Cam jumps up on the log next to Theodore, trying to shove him off. He goes to kick at Dory's shins, but is pushed back. They both collapse against the ground, barely missing the fire pit.

"For fuck's sake," I roll my eyes, laying my head against Teagan's shoulder.

"Boys," she sighs, patting my hair. "When will they ever learn to grow up?"

I laugh outright, stretching my legs. I'd already begun to tan from the summer heat. The fresh layer of bronze skin makes me realise just how important this time of year is.

The need to find my mum hangs in the air like the humidity. It's my last shot. After this summer, after next year, everyone will be going off, living their lives. Of course, we'll always be best friends, but I know that my mum's disappearance won't keep them all in New River. We all want to get out one way or another.

"Oi! Dickheads! Where is the bloody beer?"

Wesley looms over Dory and Cameron as they wrestle on the ground. They throw insults at each other, but I tune out their conversation. When most of your best friends are boys, you learned pretty quickly when to move on from their idiotic behaviour.

My eyes travel past the fire, landing on Ryan. He's talking to Maddie Stevenson, a girl in our year level. I glance away when he leans forward, brushing a strand of hair from her eyes.

"Fuckwit," Teagan curses under her breath, shaking her head. She nudges my shoulder and I sit up, placing my knees under my chin.

"He's so inconsiderate," she snaps, taking a sip from her red cup.

"He's our best friend, Tea," I sigh. "Aren't you used to it?"

Someone turns the music up and I cringe, turning away from the party. It's an annual tradition in New River to throw an end of school year party on the beach. I'm not one to turn down a good party, but this sucks. I would rather be with only my friends instead.