31 - "I'll always be in."

Chapter 32 will also be up xo

"You called

"You called. We arrived. So what's the big plan, exactly?"

New River Café was bustling tonight. Cam was working a double shift and had not once been able to stop and talk to us without Jimmy whopping his ass for slacking off. It was packed, not a single seat left spare. I shouldn't have expected anything less, it was peak tourist season now. There was less than a month left of summer and everyone was getting in whilst they still could.

"You aren't going to like it," I cringe, taking a bite of my burger to avoid continuing any further.

"Nothing new there," Ryan mumbles, earning a glare from Teagan. She smacks his arm, pointing a finger in warning. He shrugs at her, his arms folded across his chest.

"It's not about Rhys," I roll my eyes, ignoring the butterflies in my stomach when I mention his name. "Well...it kind of is."

Ryan blanches, leaning his elbows on the table in front of him, jaw ticking. I can tell he's trying to keep his resolve, knowing that it'll only cause another unwanted argument between us. I knew he was genuinely trying since our talk in the hospital and I was grateful he hadn't brought up the whole I love you speech since. But it was killing him to hear Rhys's name on my lips.

Imagine if he knew what you were doing with Rhys the other night, I think. I blush despite myself, hiding my rosy cheeks behind my hands as I lean forward nonchalantly.

"What do you mean by kind of?" Dory queries, eyebrow raised.

"The election for mayor is coming up and—"

"Ceeks..."

"And," I stop Ryan before he can continue, "it would be beneficial if we attended."

Rhys had already asked me whilst we binged the Fast and Furious series if I would go with him to the election. I'd decided it would be the night that I finally told my friends that we were together.

But it wasn't just about that. I felt like I needed to go to the election. Everyone from New River would be there and that meant that maybe I'd finally get the answers to all my questions.