50 - "Anger can only get you so far."

Make sure you've read 49 first xo

"I'm okay

"I'm okay. I swear."

Despite the mass amount of water that had to be drained from my lungs, and the seven stitches I have across my forehead, I didn't drown. I am very much alive and thriving in a hospital bed, which has been the case for the past two nights.

"I'm glad to hear your voice," dad speaks through the phone line, sighing. "When they told me the news—"

"Dad," I interrupt, "don't go there. I'm okay, seriously. Nothing terrible happened. I just slipped, that's all."

Slipped and rendered myself unconscious. If Rhys hadn't found me when he did, I probably wouldn't be talking to my father at all.

"Cora, I hope you're being safe. Just because I'm not there to pull you in line, doesn't mean you can run rampant around town," he teases, but I notice the slight edge of concern in his tone.

"I promise I've been on my best behaviour for the Baker's," I smile. "I miss you, though."

"I miss you too, Corrie," he sighs. "As soon as they let me have visitors, you'll be the first to know."

"Good. I promise not to almost drown again."

"Thank you," he speaks, softly. "I don't know what I'd do without—"

"Dad," I warn. "Don't think about that, alright?"

The door to my room opens, revealing Teagan and Cameron. They're chatting quietly to each other, two styrofoam cups of coffee in their hands. Ryan walks in behind them, carrying a tray of more cups. I notice one has my name written across it.

"I have to go, kiddo," the line crackles slightly as he moves. I picture him standing against the wall of a recreation room, hand plastered to the phone as he stares over his shoulder, a small line of people waiting to use it next. "I'm being hassled to stop talking."

I laugh lightly, despite the headache raging throughout my skull. "I love you. Talk again soon. Bye."

"Bye, Corrie."